The Christmas recipe and cooking tips thread.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Gerry Attrick said:
Panter,

I urge you (must keep my urges in check) to try a free range goose sometime. You will love it.

Ok, I'll give it a try :ohmy:

I won't get it past security for Xmas dinner this Year (after last Years greasey disaster) but I will try it, promise :tongue:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Top tip...

Stuff Turkey...and get a Goose! I don't care how organic gold/bronze/unobtanium the Turkey is claimed to be it will never be as good as a decent Goose.
Goose fat won't harm the arteries either.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rhythm Thief said:
We're having goose this year. I've never tried it before. I did pheasant a few years back and that was delicious.
Here's a tip for the sprouts ... lightly steam them, then stir fry them with sesame seeds in toasted sesame oil. Delicious.

My kids love them done that way but stir-fried with bacon and onion...a sprinkle of Parmesan on the top works as well. Long live the sprout!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sprouts and chestnuts for me - also has the advantage that they make fantastic Bubble and Squeak for the next day...

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Any more peeps?
I'll definately be trying some of these ideas :tongue: and just wondering if I need to buy any other ingredients before the big Christmas shopping trip next Week :tongue:

col

Legendary Member
What about adding sausage meat to the stuffing?My first try of this was before we were married,and i was invited round for christmas dinner.Never gone back,its bloody gorgeous.Just mix it well in,and use as normal.:tongue:

SamNichols

Right, if you're into Cabbage, I shall tell you one of the most perfect ways of cooking cabage.
Take a large saucepan, or a casserole dish, and heat some oil. Add one onion and soften, meanwhile slice up a white cabbage. When the onion is softened, add the cabbage to the pan, season with both salt and pepper, and add around 6 Juniper Berries. Stir and place the lid on the pan, cook for around 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, so as not to burn the cabbage. Serve as a side dish.

Sprouts and chestnuts is also great, but even better: sprouts and chestnuts with some sliced up pancetta. The saltiness of the pancetta really brings out the sweetness of the chestnuts.

Arch said:
Sprouts and chestnuts for me - also has the advantage that they make fantastic Bubble and Squeak for the next day...
Baggy and I had sprout bubble and squeak on our first Christmas together. Dear god, you could cut the air with a spoon.

Am still havering about what to cook for Christmas dinner. I'm on a mission to track down a nice leg of mutton, but failing that it might be quack or beef.

TOP TIP - roast your spuds ages before and freeze them. Then they just need heating through in the oven. Saves all that faffing about with timings and shuffling shelves about in the oven.

Speicher said:
What oil is the best to use for roasting potatoes, balancing taste against healthy options etc, and cost may come into the equation as well?
Not oil. Fat. Lard, dripping, goose fat or duck fat.
Dripping is dirt cheap and makes fine roasties. ;)

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
No substitute for goose fat. Par boil your quartered potatoes for about 8 mins, heat your fat up to 220C/mark 7 until smoking. Meantime let your drained spuds dry in the open hot saucepan and finally put a lid on and give 'em a good shake to roughen up the surface. Bung 'em in the hot fat and baiste 'em often for about 30-40 minutes or until well browned. They might need turning whilst cooking. Provided you use good floury spuds, this is foolproof and the goose fat aint that bad for you. Thousands of Frenchmen in the Camargue can testify to that. If you really have a conscience, you could use half olive oil with the goose fat, but the flavour will suffer.

Top Bottom