The creaking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will Cheyney

99.9% of the time, any squeaks and creaks come from the suspension block pin just needing more grease. I've been fooled so many times, swearing that it's either the pedals, bottom bracket or even the headset. It's always the suspension block ☺️

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I could actually feel this in my feet when I pedalled.

So I was convinced it was pedal related.

It wasn't until I'd tried everything else and I had the bike up on the workstand that I tried applying a lateral force to the rear triangle by pushing and pulling it with the easy wheels.

Finally I could feel the rear end move (only slightly) and hear the creaking.

I can only assume that there isn't this torsional tension between the seatpost and the rear triangle when you're out of the saddle.

Last edited:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I too have a creak on my older Brommie, very similar to how @Kell has described it. I've come across the the suspension block problem many times, and it's not this in this case.
Glad yours is fixed.
I'm a little reluctant to fiddle with the rear triangle bolts, so I think I'm going to take it into Brompton Junction. Certainly it's more than two years since it was last replaced.
It's doing a big tour of Netherlands/Belgium in July, so I don't want anything untoward happening.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Have a play with your bike when you're off it.

Hold the seat tube and push the rear triangle sideways. This is when I could feel and hear the creaking on mine.

From what I've read online if the bushes have gone, it's something like a £65 'fix' and it has to go back to the factory as they need to be reamed to fit.

It can be done at home, but the Brompton reamer is £200.

Another one of those archaic Brompton quirks...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
99.9% of the time, any squeaks and creaks come from the suspension block pin just needing more grease. I've been fooled so many times, swearing that it's either the pedals, bottom bracket or even the headset. It's always the suspension block ☺️
Unless it is the rear triangle bushes being lunched.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
From what I've read online if the bushes have gone, it's something like a £65 'fix' and it has to go back to the factory as they need to be reamed to fit.
Doesn't need to go back to the factory - a dealer should be able to do it.

chris folder

Hi:hello:sounds like under the saddle? My dahon makes a creaking sound it's coming from frame somewhere never used to do it sounds similar I'm going to lube all bike frame hinges try that

Top Bottom