The credit crunch ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

You can tell the differance between dired pasta yes. Not sure about the Asda brand, but Tesco pasta is not a patch on Napolia, and don't even get me started on the quick cook rubbish...

And yeah fresh could be better, but again depends where you get it. Plus there is the eliment of conviniance with the dried, you can always have some pasta to hand.

Mortiroloboy

Alcdrew said:
You can tell the differance between dired pasta yes. Not sure about the Asda brand, but Tesco pasta is not a patch on Napolia, and don't even get me started on the quick cook rubbish...

And yeah fresh could be better, but again depends where you get it. Plus there is the eliment of conviniance with the dried, you can always have some pasta to hand.

Tesc* own brand 'food' isn't a patch on anything edible IME.

domtyler

Über Member
yenrod said:
One pkt of pasta may cost 23p for this the basic asda pasta 500gram bag

OR you could buy this:

Napolina 500gram for 74p...

I know which one I buy.

I buy KFC - I the stuff trans fat. acids or not.

I never had you down as a junk food junkie Lee.

Plax

Guru
fossyant said:
Bugger - anyone got paid yet for April.......? just got paid, and despite all the saving on switching fuel, telephones, mobile and the like all this has gone... £70 a month worse off now due to the new tax rates and increase in pension contribs (that was only notified a few weeks ago)... hmm where else can I save...

Robbing government !!! Grrrrr

I've not been paid yet, but I should hopefully be better off as they are reducing the standard tax rate by 2%.
Time will tell................... 10 days in fact.

U

User482

Alcdrew said:

Can't tell the difference myself. I always use fresh - tastes better and it keeps for up to a month in the fridge. And it cooks quicker.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Arch said:
£200 a week on food certainly sounbds a lot to me
Me too - we are a family of 4 (well, 3 and a half, the youngest is only 7 months old) and I'm fairly sure we don't spend enywhere near that! :evil:

Still, in the last few months a tin of basics chopped tomatoes has gone from 19p to 24p - so that's a *counts on fingers* 25% rise?
Well, actually it's 26.3%, but I'll let you off with 25%. :biggrin:;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fresh is not necessarily better - the Italians use dried I believe, and they should know (unless you need it fresh to make ravioli or tortellini or similar.)

I've certainly not noticed a difference between brands of dried pasta - I avoid the quick cook because I don't feel 10 mins is too long to wait so it's not worth paying more.

And Sainsburys basic chopped tinned tomatoes are easily as good as any pricier brand - better sometimes. You still need a decent dollop of purree and al the herbs and stuff, whatever brand you get.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Me too - we are a family of 4 (well, 3 and a half, the youngest is only 7 months old) and I'm fairly sure we don't spend enywhere near that! :evil:

Well, actually it's 26.3%, but I'll let you off with 25%. :biggrin:;)

I'll send you the 1.3% of a tin in a plastic bag... :biggrin:

Alcdrew

Arch said:
Fresh is not necessarily better - the Italians use dried I believe, and they should know (unless you need it fresh to make ravioli or tortellini or similar.)

I've certainly not noticed a difference between brands of dried pasta - I avoid the quick cook because I don't feel 10 mins is too long to wait so it's not worth paying more.

And Sainsburys basic chopped tinned tomatoes are easily as good as any pricier brand - better sometimes. You still need a decent dollop of purree and al the herbs and stuff, whatever brand you get.

Try getting whole peeled tomatoes. Much better, when simmered whole and moshed up right at the end. Still need some nice herds but none of the purree stuff.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Mass-produced fresh pasta is dreadful stuff, and needless to say is about eight times the price of dried. Good quality dried stuff or home-made fresh are the only options. I have lengthy opinions on pasta which I suspect might be boring to those who don't, so I'll stop there, except to say that I'm with Arch on the hideousness of "quick-cook" spaghetti. Christ, how quick do you need???

domtyler

Über Member
theclaud said:
Mass-produced fresh pasta is dreadful stuff, and needless to say is about eight times the price of dried. Good quality dried stuff or home-made fresh are the only options. I have lengthy opinions on pasta which I suspect might be boring to those who don't, so I'll stop there, except to say that I'm with Arch on the hideousness of "quick-cook" spaghetti. Christ, how quick do you need???

I totally agree with this. A complete waste of money and you end up with an inferior product.

theclaud, I'd love to hear your lengthy opinions on pasta, I'm sure you could make any subject sound interesting anyway.

Arch

Married to Night Train
theclaud said:

Ah but this is the 'get it now, and I mean like yesterday' age, innit? 10 whole minutes? Dear me, you'll be suggesting next people make real ground coffee or a proper bechamel sauce...

Are your lengthy opinions on spaghetti the really long ones like we used to have in the 70's, or the shorter ones we have now?:tongue:

Alcdrew - I've actually found the 'basics' chopped tomatoes better for my style of cooking (wang it all in and simmer furiously) than the whole ones - less watery for some reason - perhaps if you go for the brands it's better the other way. I've never had any complaints about my spag bol:tongue:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I just flipped in here to see how the credit crunch thread was going and see that it's now discussing fresh or dried pasta. Who said satire was dead:biggrin:

Top Bottom