The Cycle tourers 'useful phrases in Foreign' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Germany was an option...I speak enough to survive . But I've been going to Germany for 28 years now, I know it better than I do the UK I feel. I want something different.

Tony said:
What very odd grammar and spelling....

I was not convinced that it wasn't the locals having a laugh at the visitor's expense

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
bonj said:
make sur eyou learn "je voudrais une tube d'inneur" - "I need a new inner tube
and also learn numbers. "vingt-trois a six-cent-vingt-deux" - 23-622
that's all you'll need. don't waste time learning stuff more complex, if your bike breaks just take it into a friendly looking shop and point at the offending part, it won't be long before the guy wanders off into the back while babbling something unintelligible in french at light speed, a clattering will be heard, and then a minute later he'll come out brandishing the part you need.
Remember the french are very cyclist-friendly , more so than english.

Oh Bonj, full of bull as always....

Je voudrais - I want
J'ai besoin - I need

une tube d'inneur - no direct translation - not even a hint when searched for in Google

une chambre à air - inner tube

so I need an inner tube in French is:

J'ai besoin une chambre à air.

There is no need to learn the cycling specific numbers. The Fench can read them directly from the tyre :becool:

Pointing aimlessly can and does work but it's much more rewarding to be able to have a conversation with the mechanic/shop owner.

freakhatz

Never neard of a 'une tube d'inneur' either but otherwise Bonj's experience's pretty much matches my own when touring in France. Very often I have asked for a part and ended up with a better alternative.

'Je voudrais..' is fine as it is commonly used in shops as 'I would like..'

Recently a friend with no French at all got a bike shop to leave off fettling an entire set of race bikes for the next day, to do a vital repair to his tourer. Mind you, he is built large and slightly wild-looking.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I like languages and get by in 3, French, German and Italian but I always make an effort to learn a few words wherever I go. Numbers 1-10, Please, Thank you and Beer for a start.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I speak French and Italian and basic German but I always try to learn the basics too...it was incredible in India to see the impact of learning a few words.

And this week's experience in a french hospital has made me very aware of the benefits of speaking a language!!

U

User169

vernon said:
Oh Bonj, full of bull as always....

Je voudrais - I want

Well Vernon, if you're going down that route, you should make sure that you're right.

Formally, "Je voudrais" translates as "I would like". "I want" would be "Je veux".;)

longers

Legendary Member
I got told that the Italian phrase "Non mi tocare cedele!" translates as - Stop touching my buttocks!

vernon

rich p said:
I like languages and get by in 3, French, German and Italian but I always make an effort to learn a few words wherever I go. Numbers 1-10, Please, Thank you and Beer for a start.

Don't ask for a dry Martini in Germany - you'll end up with three of them...

I'll get me coat......;)

Tony

And Vernon...J'ai besoin d'une.....etc

Of course, in Welsh, there is the essential phrase "Mae fy nhethau i'n frwydro gyda mwynhad"

vernon

Tony said:
And Vernon...J'ai besoin d'une.....etc

Of course, in Welsh, there is the essential phrase "Mae fy nhethau i'n frwydro gyda mwynhad"

No, not that chapel, that chapel?

C'mon translation please with a side helping of vowels :smile:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
rich p said:
Numbers 1-10, Please, Thank you and Beer for a start.

I take it you're normally asked to leave after the 10th beer then ... ? :angry:

"Il/Elle ne marche pas" (It doesn't work) might be a useful French one.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
'Est que c'est possible de reparer ce chose la? Je ne connais pas le mot francais'
has got me out of trouble a few times. I suspect it's somewhat poor French but seems to work.

By this technique I discovered that a spoke is 'Rayon' in French. And replacing it takes about a beer or so.

Tony

It's easy for me--I'm a qualified French interpreter. A lot of what you'd say would be pretty rough and ready anyway, with all the ususal "Waddaya think?" equivalents. Get a list of French nouns, like rayon, frein, vitesses and add "ne marche(nt) pas", "est casse(e)", "Pouvez-vous?", "Qu'est-ce que vous pensez?", "C'est possible que vous le pourriez faire?", "Mon aeroglisseur est plein d'anguilles" and so on.

And the Welsh is from the English-Hungarian dictionary of a Mr Python.

Top Bottom