1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by Shaun, 5 Sep 2015.

1. Siclo

Siclo Well-Known Member

How they are penalising students who don't cycle and don't wear a helmet? Anybody seen any studies of the efficacy of cycle helmets in lunch queue accidents?

2. Justinslow

Justinslow Lovely jubbly

What a crap reason.

IMG_1527.jpg

So I've replied again repeating the negligible effects on safety and the detrimental effects on cycling numbers and therefore health benefits are reduced when compulsion is introduced. I also suggested that the Police might not be the best experts on this topic!

I suggested better education for road users and better training for cyclists might be the answer!

To my mind it looks "good" for the school imposing helmet compulsion to those that know bugger all about it, but will deliver very little.

• Like Like x 6
  3. I agree, it looks like your school is more concerned with "being seen" to address the issue of road safety without it actually requiring them to make any meaningful changes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Über Member

Keep pushing it is important they do not get away with compulsion where not backed up with evidence.

• Like Like x 2
  5. or indeed the law.

6. Justinslow

Justinslow Lovely jubbly

I just put a post up on our club Facebook page regarding the email asking for opinions.
    It lasted about half an hour before the admin pulled the plug as it started to kick off, not just on here then!

7. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

Well done. I would also be inclined to contact the local police and ask them why they are giving the school inappropriate and incorrect advice.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guru

Yes, well done @Justinslow . In addition to theclaud's point, is it worth asking the school if their remit extends beyond the school gates in the first place?

• Like Like x 2
  9. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Be careful though. They might not have actually said what the school claims. (And I think that's Suffolk which shares a roads policing unit with Norfolk so I really hoped they haven't.)

10. Justinslow

Justinslow Lovely jubbly

Unfortunately joe public (and a lot of people who should know better) generally think it's a good idea.
    You're almost "swimming" against the tide.
    Like I said I've no problem with people wearing helmets, I do, but not all the time, the problem I have is with HAVING to wear a helmet.
    How can people not see that it's mostly crap driving or poor riding that is the problem. Close passing, on the phone, not looking, speeding etc etc or cyclists not riding correctly?

11. Regulator

Regulator Political refugee. Fan of Adrian.

It was probably the local beat bobby or PCSO giving advice that they're not qualified to give...

12. Nigel-YZ1

Nigel-YZ1 Guru

If the police are so concerned about school run accidents perhaps they should be policing the roads around the school.

...damn. Forgot there's not enough money for that.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Of course the school might have even made it up about contacting the police.

14. green1

green1 Über Member

And if they have they need to be pulled over the coals for it.

15. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guru

@Justinslow ,did you hear anything back from the school in response to your latest missive?