1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by Shaun, 5 Sep 2015.

1. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Oooh, you'll probably get complaints about 40mph being the horizontal speed not the vertical speed, so you may want to refer to https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/paper-helmets.147263/ or consider that travelling at 40mph considerably increases the risk of an impact into a kerb edge (which is tested) having a significant horizontal component (which isn't tested).
  2. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

Don't know whether this has been posted, but well worth reading again.

3. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

Mort, mjr, srw and 5 others like this.
  4. the snail

the snail Über Member

Not much point imo, if you bang your head into something at any significant speed your neck will probably snap anyway, helmet or not.
  5. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

I wear one because it keeps the rain off my hair, its high viz so it helps motorists see me and also it keeps my head warmer in winter.
    I think if you were involved in a bad crash then a cycle helmet wouldnt be much use.Even with a crack to the head I think they are not robust enough to protect you.
  6. Thomson

Thomson Regular

Talk about cycle helmets or not. I drove to the local shop before about half six driving back down the high street. Saw a cyclist dark clothes with no lights at all on bike. No helmet on. An when I drove past I noticed they had headphones in. You just can't help some people.
  7. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Yes, and even more astonishing is some car drivers drive with the windows shut and the radio on
  8. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

Drivers pass helmeted cyclists more closely than unhelmeted cyclists (because unhelmeted cyclists seem more vulnerable), and so helmeted cyclists are more likely to get hit
  9. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

It's not illegal to cycle without wearing a bicycle helmet in the UK, so I don't see what the problem is there. Also, you saw the cyclist, so he/she was obviously visible enough.
    Fab Foodie likes this.