The CycleChat Monthly Challenges

Discussion in 'CycleChat Monthly Challenges' started by Shaun, 6 Jan 2016.

1. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

If my body would take the punishment then I probably would have a go at a time trial, but I think that window of opportunity has closed!

It doesn't stop me trying to go further, more often, and with more hills, but getting faster seems to be pretty difficult now.

Dogtrousers and Sbudge like this.
  2. Sbudge

Sbudge Cyclist

I certainly agree there's an issue with variation (about 5% across the people I've ridden the same routes with so far) but ultimately these challenges are pretty personal. Sometimes I *know* I could get a greater elevation using one site over another but then I couldn't validly compare one of my rides to the next.

For me the best route would be an honour system where people are consistent with measurement methods across their own rides. I'd caution against 'smoothing' or post-ride 'elevation correction' unless you're using a barometric measurement (as used by a variety of devices) and it's clear there's been a significant pressure shift during the ride. I can usually spot that on a loop/out-and-back ride when my height gained and height lost don't closely match.

I'd propose 1 point for 1km, 2 for 1 mile, 3 for 2km and 4 for 2 miles. That seems broadly analogous to how I feel about the distance challenges I've been doing. I'm sure we could discuss ad nauseam about whether 15 short/steep climbs are tougher that 3 long gentle ones but that would be like arguing how fast we're doing the distance runs.

So, if we're going to start a new challenge, should it take into account completed rides (last week, month, year so far?), start from 1st June or 1st July for the half year? I'm not a good person to have an unbiased opinion on this as I did my 'highest' ride to date on Sunday ^_^ on the one hand but missed a kilo-climb ride in January by just a few meters!

Last edited: 31 May 2016
    Dogtrousers likes this.
  3. I'd start the challenge now, and allow retrospective entries for the year going back as far as January, but not earlier than any month with no qualifying ride (ie if you skipped Feb you can't retrospectively enter Jan). I, for example can go back as far as April, having missed March.

I know how I personally propose to use it. I'm going to try to do one 1600m (ie one mile) ride per month, and will log just one qualifying ride per month. I won't try logging every ride, or accruing points, as that would just be an additional faff from my point of view. Others will, of course, differ. And are entirely free to do so.

I agree that we should steer clear of discussions about steepness and so on. You can take as long (in distance and time terms) as you like as long as all the elevation is in a single ride (with reasonable breaks) as discussed hereabouts recently.

Sbudge likes this.
  4. Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider Formerly just_fixed

Started.

5. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

I don't use a Garmin, but I do use Strava. Strava however robs me blind with elevation unless I tell it I have used a barometric GPS (which I do), then it gives me more than I have climbed, sometimes not a lot but it can be a 25% variance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice