The Cycling Environment and Mental Health

Discussion in 'Research and Questionnaires' started by CyclingDepression, 16 Jul 2012.

1. CyclingDepression

CyclingDepression New Member

Hello,

I am conducting research on the impact of 'cycling spaces' (the physical environment) on people who suffer from depression. This work will contribute to the under-researched area of the relationship between the physical environment and mental health.

If you currently suffer or have suffered from depression, and you cycled during that period, I would be incredibly grateful for your help in my research. All participation is anoymous.

If you are interested in participating, or have any questions, please contact me at cycling_depression@hotmail.co.uk

I am also on twitter https://twitter.com/Cycl_Depression

If you would like more information, there is an explanation on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/CyclingDepression

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from you!

2. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

Ok, I suffer from depression but I've no idea what you mean by the cycling environment. Roads, social contact with other cyclists and other road users, online forums (!!!)? Or does it include anything that people associate with cycling?

3. OP
    OP
    CyclingDepression

Thanks for your interest deptfordmarmoset. By the cycling environment, I am referring to the physical cycling environment and anything that occurs within it. So yes, all those things you described, except for online forums. A basic example of two very different cycling environments being someone cycling at night, in a city, on their own as a commute, and someone cycling during the day, in a group, down a country lane in a race.

4. MissTillyFlop

MissTillyFlop Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.

Is just unipolar depression you are researching?

5. OP
    OP
    CyclingDepression

Thanks for your interest MissTillyFlop. I would be incredibly grateful for any participants, whether they have unipolar depression or bipolar etc., though the cycling would need to occur during periods of depression.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice