the cycling salesman (potentially)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrpattersonsir

hi folks!

i'm new to this forum (though i've been lurking awhile) and this is my first post. i could do with your views and pointers.

i used to commute to work in my old job, and i loved it (the cycling that is, not the job). now that i'm settled in my new job as a sales rep, i really wish i could start commuting by bike again. however theres the obvious obstacles - wearing cycling clothes to sales meetings doesnt seem professional / finding places to get changed may be a problem as i work with schools / keeping relatively clean and presentable for meetings as i'm a sweaty brute and its always raining here/ etc...

does anyone else here tried doing a sales job and cycling to meetings? would love to hear how you manage it...

cheers

paddy

OP
OP
M

mrpattersonsir

i should say that i have the chance to do some cracking cycling as i cover the west of scotland. i've got quite excited about combining train and bike in the really rural parts.

Maz

Guru
Welcome to the forum.
Couple of questions:
How far is your commute?
Can you leave your work clothes in the office, and change when you get there?

OP
OP
M

mrpattersonsir

cheers!

i'm home based, so i'd need to carry everything with me (not a problem). its not really an office job that i have. my car is currently my office. i hate my car.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Deending on the sort of distances you have to cover, you may just be able to change your cycling to suit your clothes - IE, take it a bit easier, so as not to get too sweaty. Wear waterproofs to keep yourself dry in the rain - or perhaps, wear shirt, but wear lycra shorts, and simply pull smart trousers on over them when you get to destination. If you worry you've sweated to much, a quick wipe down with a babywipe in the loo will do the job of freshing you up - in fact you could just as easily change in there too, if it came to it - you don't need a special changing room with a shower and all that. Witha bit of care, trousers and a shirt can (apparently, I never wear anything smart!) be rolled up to carry fairly crease-free in a pannier. If yoiu don't have to ride too far, just wear your normal clothes with trouser clips, or trousers tucked into socks - people did that for decades without the need for special gear....

Top Bottom