1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Day Lengthening Mystery: an explanation.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Andy in Sig, 8 Feb 2008.

1. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

I mentioned a few weeks back that it was odd that the evenings were getting longer and the mornings barely budging. I am now in a postion to provide the answer.

Some years ago a schoolboy howler of an exam answer was reported in the papers. The question demanded an explanation of why days were longer in summer and shorter in winter and the kid wrote: "When things get hot they expand and when they get cold they contract."

Like everbody else I laughed at this but ... the kid must have been right! The nights are cold and it takes a bit for the sun to warm things up and so the mornings are not expanding (i.e. getting earlier) as quickly as the evenings are getting later when the day is cooling down and so contracting. Problem solved. Forget all this nonsense about orbits and precession.

2. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Phew, glad that's sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Pete

Pete Guest

I'm told that this is an actual answer to a physics exam question.

Q. EXPLAIN WHY HOT AIR RISES.
    A. When a gas heats up, the molecules move faster. As their speed increases, their mass increases in accordance with the Special Theory of Relativity. The mass of the molecules increases, therefore the density increases, therefore the hot air rises.

Don't ask...

4. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

5. Dave G

Dave G New Member

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a while. I love the 'here it is' answer!

6. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

:rolleyes:

Bring back some happy memories for you Dave? :rolleyes::smile::sad:

7. Pete

Pete Guest

School ain't what it was when I were a lad. I got "SEE ME"'d for things like smudging a diagram, giving the wrong answer, homework late, that sort of cr@p....

8. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Unsurprisingly, I love the elephant answer....:wacko:

9. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

But did Dom get his dick sucked when he did see him?her?

10. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

Please let bonj have a strong opinion on this...

11. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

Andy that temperature explanation is a load of rubbish. The correct explanation is a biological one. In the morning, people are tired and it takes a while for their eyes to open properly. It is getting lighter at the same rate as the evenings are, but people aren't perceiving it to be because their optic envelope isn't fully dilated. As sunset approaches, we all wander around like bushbabies and so every possible kilo* of light is hoovered into the eye socket and onto the retina.

If there's anything else that's eating away at you then let me know; but first think about it in biological terms and I think you'll find an answer presents itself more often than not.

*correct unit of measurement for light.

12. Oh those exam answers are so funny xx(

13. Pete

Pete Guest

The questions are good fun too! I can't make much out of the 'kittens' one, not my line! - but the one to which our intrepid pupil replied "because he slept with his boss's wife" appears to read like this:
    My answer would be, that he left Engineering and took up a career as a famous artist, producing stuff like this...

Now, how about turning this into a "Second Law of Thermodynamics" thread then? xx(