The Deal thread....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No, not that dreadful one, this one, the good one where I have now spent 5 Christmases.
Though to be fair, it’s reputation has not always been rosy:

Diarist Samuel Pepys recorded several visits to Deal, being moved on 30 April 1660 to describe it as "pitiful".

The author Daniel Defoe controversially wrote of the town in his book about the Great Storm of 1703. The town accused him of libel and refuted the allegations he made. Defoe's book included: -

If I had any satire left to write,
Could I with suited spleen indite,
My verse should blast that fatal town,
And drown’d sailors' widows pull it down;
No footsteps of it should appear,
And ships no more cast anchor there.
The barbarous hated name of Deal shou’d die,
Or be a term of infamy;
And till that’s done, the town will stand
A just reproach to all the land

William Cobbett passing through in September 1823 noted in his book Rural Rides:

Deal is a most villainous place. It is full of filthy-looking people. Great desolation of abomination has been going on here; tremendous barracks, partly pulled down and partly tumbling down, and partly occupied by soldiers. Everything seems upon the perish. I was glad to hurry along through it, and to leave its inns and public-houses to be occupied by the tarred, and trowsered, and blue and buff crew whose very vicinage I always detest.

Nowadays a lovely thriving bohemian town at the end of the world beloved of the 4x4 driving Joules bedecked London set of a weekend.
The steep shelving pebble beach keeps the bucket and spade hordes away in favour of those preferring a bracing dip and a promenade past pier and castles.
The town boasts a Medieval quarter of presrved smugglers, publican and fisherman's houses. An excellent market every Saturday supports an enthusiastic foodie community.
Cycling is great, flat lands and climbers cliffs, something for everybody, Deal is quite a cycling town

In the media it seems well liked winning plaudits for its individuality and tranquility.

On a good day you can see the continent...oh well...

Anyhow, I commend this Deal to the house:okay:

lane

Veteran
Sounds good - what are house prices like?

Drago

Legendary Member
Deal in Kent is now good? When did that happen? I was there in October and it didn't seem a lot different to when Pepys described it.

Having said thatl compared to Broadstairs it seems like Windsor.

lane

Veteran
Deal in Kent is now good? When did that happen? I was there in October and it didn't seem a lot different to when Pepys described it.

Having said thatl compared to Broadstairs it seems like Windsor.

Fond memories of Broadstairs annual Sunday school outing. Fish and chip lunch. Maybe it's gone downhill since.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sounds good - what are house prices like?
Wimpers 5 year old 3 bed semi with small courtyard garden in a good location £320.
A shoebox in the medieval quarter with no parking or garden is a small fortune....

Rocky

Hello decadence
The North Sea and English Channel meet at Deal..........sounds like a good excuse for a tot or two of rum, Fabbers

Don't forget the old Navy adage: Rum....whitens the teeth, strengthens the gums and makes childbirth a pleasure

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The North Sea and English Channel meet at Deal..........sounds like a good excuse for a tot or two of rum, Fabbers

Don't forget the old Navy adage: Rum....whitens the teeth, strengthens the gums and makes childbirth a pleasure
:eek: *puts down glass, steps away from bottle*
Is the childbirth part obligatory? I've not drunk *that* much...

Top Bottom