The definition of squishy ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
It does make sense. But what happens if using non-tubeless rims and sealant and you want to swap tyres?
Unlike tubulars, and unless you are allergic to sticky mess, there is nothing to stop you installing any clincher (and indeed installing any tube after pulling off the tubeless valve) on any (i.e. oem, taped or ghetto) tubeless rim.
This.

You simply take the tyre off, recycle the jizz or bin it and put new tyres on.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Unlike tubulars, and unless you are allergic to sticky mess, there is nothing to stop you installing any clincher (and indeed installing any tube after pulling off the tubeless valve) on any (i.e. oem, taped or ghetto) tubeless rim.
two of my three lbs refuse to do it.

Cubist

Still wavin'
two of my three lbs refuse to do it.
I have an old washing up bowl in the garage that I drain fork oil into when I service them, and added two tyres worth of sealant in when I swapped tyres over last month. The latex has formed an interesting lava lamp style series of clumps now it's suspended in the oil!

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member

Very much so in my case. Hence my reluctance to go tubeless unless I have no other option other than running hard tyres.

screenman

Legendary Member
Now we are getting the real answer to my earlier question.

GC are you saying LBS are not embracing technology, they are seriously stuck in the past.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member

Are you talking to me? Yesterday, I said this:

I don't have to get the special edging stuff and valves, and the messy sealant stuff that you have to put in. I don't have to put it in the tyres in the dining-room (which is the only place I have to work on bikes) and make a mess, and have my OH moan at me for making a mess.

I'm not sure how you missed the part where I said I don't like mess :scratch:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

GC are you saying LBS are not embracing technology, they are seriously stuck in the past.
I'm saying two from the three, of my local LBS's that are mtb centric, will politely direct a sealant filled wheel bearer to the door marked exit. Conversationally I was told that it makes such a mess and takes so long to clean up, and so much faffage sealing beads etc., etc., that it renders the work uneconomic. This seems to be borne out by similar discussions in other virtual places. Does this equate to a charge of failing to embrace technology? Not sure, one of them is pretty cutting edge in terms of what they sell.

As "I like swapping tyres me", but I'm no fan of liquid latex, it has quite put me off going tubeless.

screenman

Legendary Member
Well I doubt any pro riders are on tubes or in fact many top rate amateurs for that matter, so I would say the shops are unskilled and out of touch. Maybe they need better training.

In my trade we have some companies that sell quality tools, none of the sales people know how to use them though.

Although I have been on tubeless for a good while I am yet to discover the messy part you guys talk about.

screenman

Legendary Member
People as long as you come on here and ask for advice or any question for that matter you may get answers and advice you do not want, sorry if mine fits in that bracket. I just get passionate about something when I find it works and that enthusiasm is hard to contain.

I must add that for 40 years I enjoyed riding and racing bikes before going tubeless so I know you can have fun either way. Keep riding and keep smiling.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
People as long as you come on here and ask for advice or any question for that matter you may get answers and advice you do not want, sorry if mine fits in that bracket. I just get passionate about something when I find it works and that enthusiasm is hard to contain.

I must add that for 40 years I enjoyed riding and racing bikes before going tubeless so I know you can have fun either way. Keep riding and keep smiling.

Can you make it clear if you're addressing your comments to me? (Since I started the thread, I assume you are.)

On the assumption that you are talking to me, please note (re: "asking for advice") that nowhere in my OP did I ask for advice on any aspect of tyres, tubes or pressures - or anything else for that matter. All the advice I have been given has been unsolicited. I don't mind a bit of unsolicited advice because it can sometimes open my eyes to possibilities that I wasn't aware of before, but continuing to push the same thing when the person you're talking to has made it clear that they've made other choices and why they've made them can get really irritating after a while.

Treat that as a piece of unsolicited advice ^_^

Cubist

Still wavin'
Actually, I started the thing about tubeless.:blush:

I don't see the messy part of it as a problem, as I was able to catch all that came out of my tyres with a bucket and a rag last time I swapped them.

Shops that refuse to work with sealant filled tyres won't mind if I exercise my rights as a consumer and go elsewhere.

Screenman, shall we go and have our own "tubeless fanboi" thread elsewhere?

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I promise I will not answer one of your posts again, how is that^_^

Sorry, my best efforts to put that nicely obviously didn't work. Damn internet forums!

Seriously, I do appreciate what you guys have to say. You just have to understand that once a girl's made her mind up, no amount of sensible reasoning is going to make her change it.

Next time, try chocolate :biggrin:

Top Bottom