1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dragon.

Discussion in 'Sportives' started by Lardyboy, 9 Jun 2008.

1. Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

Right then, got the Tour of Pembroke out of the way who's doing The Dragon this Sunday?

2. dbg

dbg New Member

me

3. 515mm

515mm Well-Known Member

an me:biggrin:

4. OP
    OP
    Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

I would bl**dy well hope so!

5. 515mm

515mm Well-Known Member

and Tall Paul as well. Looks like the other 2700 must be on BikeR*d*r:ohmy:

6. groucho

groucho New Member

I was there on the short route! It was tough enough especially the hill at Blackmill that spoiled my 20K sprint for the line.

Great day out and no degreaser to eat!

7. dbg

dbg New Member

£26 and nowt but banana's at the feed stops - blooming poor show, everything else was good though :biggrin: Well apart from the soddin great queue at the start.

8. little miss

little miss Well-Known Member

Congratulations to all.

I did the shorter route - albeit in the comfort of my car :biggrin: - and it certainly looked like a very tough challenge.

You should all be very proud of yourselves.

Well done! smiley32.gif Da iawn!

9. OP
    OP
    Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

We had a selection of tarts and cakes when we went through dbg. I think we left enough when we left.;)

And the queue went on for miles. I had to have a p*** in a field before we'd passed the start we'd waited for so long! :tongue:

But the rest of the day went well, though I did have a "crisis of confidence" moment about halfway up "Bwlch 2" cursing that I should of put a 26 not a 25 on the cassette.

10. jashburnham

jashburnham New Member

First ever Dragon ride and I loved it. Did the 75 mile route in 4:17, the 17 was spent at feed stations so I'm very chuffed with 4 hours. I only used the stops for water, prefer to carry my own food and indeed electrolyte/carb powder to add to my bottles. My 2 training buddies and I managed to stick together the whole way round as well, although we could never find a group moving at a pace to suit us. I'm sure finding a good fast group would cut the time down further but overall very happy with the day, yes the queue at the start was long but not unbearable and there was plenty of banter with fellow riders!

11. 515mm

515mm Well-Known Member

Crisis of confidence Lards?

You went past me quick enough!

Bwlch2 was the hardest physical thing I've done in my life. A very close second was the final 20k when I realised that I could be on for a sub 5hr time and hammered myself into the ground only to record 5:01:21.;)

"Put a fork in me boys, I'm done"

Special mention must go to Little Miss who provided hugs of encouragement at the feed stations.:ohmy:

Chapeau! to all who took part.

3000 cyclists all in one place? See you all next year!

12. yello

yello Guru

Congratulations to all that did it. There's a real sense of achievement about completing a ride like this, regardless of the time taken.

I did it a few years ago when it wasn't quite so popular but still found it too much for me. I've not bothered again... but that's not meant as a criticism of the event itself.