The Dutch are mad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
but in a 'good' mad type of way

Whike

I'm going to Netherlands for my hols this year too. Superb beaches and sailing in Zeeland area.

I've now started 2 threads in recumbent section and don't even own one.
Not yet anyway.Anyone see were I am heading?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I've seen people doing amazing speeds on land yachts, which are similar on Blackpool beach. I can imagine the number of bike related injuries going up with these things but they do look like fun.

The thing is, would they be allowed on public roads as there is perhaps potential for a strong gust to blow you all over the place?

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Andy in Sig said:
I've seen people doing amazing speeds on land yachts, which are similar on Blackpool beach. I can imagine the number of bike related injuries going up with these things but they do look like fun.

The thing is, would they be allowed on public roads as there is perhaps potential for a strong gust to blow you all over the place?

Some huge beaches in Netherlands, sand yachts ('blocarts') and kite buggies.

Tacking up your local high street? At least you should never have a SMIDSY. How would drafting a bus work? Are there any laws stating you CAN'T sail up the street. There were youtube vids of people windsurfing and kayaking the streets here after the floods last year.

So many improbable questions. But at least one decision has been made for me on the strength of it - I now have a team to take an interest in Euro 2008

Fiona N

Veteran
I have heard tales of folk touring by Windcheetah in Canada (or perhaps Australia, my memory fails me) adding a sail on the long boring bits. Possibly more controllable was the strimmer motor another guy added to his WIndcheetah to power him at a steady 30mph on the flat of the Prairies (this is for real, I met the guy, who used to work for Bob Dixon at AVD, and saw the very machine) :?:

NickM

Veteran
I saw the sail-assisted trike recently at Cycle Vision. Most of the time there, the sail was purely ornamental on account of the modest wind and tree cover. It might well come into its own in the right terrain and on the right day, though...

And if you reckon the Dutch are (benignly) mad, I recommend a visit to my current favourite country, Belgium :biggrin:

Top Bottom