The Eagles sang about Brexit in 1976

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Ich bin ein Ausländer

Listen to the victim, abused by the system
The basis is racist, you know that we must face this.
"It can't happen here". Oh yeah?
"Take a look around at the cities and the towns."
See them hunting, creeping, sneaking
Breeding fear and loathing with the lies they're speaking
The knife, the gun, broken bottle, petrol bomb
There is no future when the past soon come.
And when they come to ethnically cleanse me
Will you speak out? Will you defend me?
Or laugh through a glass eye as they rape our lives
Trampled underfoot by the right on the rise

Ich Bin Ein Auslander

Welcome to a state where the politics of hate
Shout loud in the crowd "Watch them beat us all down"
There's a rising tide in the rivers of blood
But if the answer isn't violence, neither is your silence
If they come to ethnically cleanse me
Will you speak out? Will you defend me?
Freedom of expression doesn't make it alright
Trampled underfoot by the rise of the right

Ich Bin Ein Auslander.

Love the poppies, seen them many times x

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Look up the 'winkers' song by Ivor Biggun. It's very appropriate for this self server!:okay:

Guy-Verhofstadt-802206.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just a couple of fixes there.
I'm not really keen on labels, but I think we all know what is meant by 'the right' in the lyrics to that song. So given the perceived rise in violence and intimidation, including the assassination of one of our MPs, the racist dog whistles and incitement to nationalism coming from leading figures on the leave side of the debate, the talk about scrapping human rights and the scapegoating of immigrants, what's your argument for changing it?

colly

Re member eR
I'm not really keen on labels, but I think we all know what is meant by 'the right' in the lyrics to that song. So given the perceived rise in violence and intimidation, including the assassination of one of our MPs, the racist dog whistles and incitement to nationalism coming from leading figures on the leave side of the debate, the talk about scrapping human rights and the scapegoating of immigrants, what's your argument for changing it?

Well I'm not going get into a massive disscussion about it but you mention violence and discrimination as if it only the right that engage in such horrible activity. It isn't. The left are quite capable of just the same practices.

Take a look at the way Antifa carry on, supposedly peaceful marches where people go around with IRA like masks on shouting down and intimidating any opposition. Punching people who dare challenge them. Colleges and universities. Who dare speak out now against policies and ideas put forward by the the left? They are hounded and belittle, shouted down, have hate mail sent them, even threatend with violence. The left are happy to have perfectly good teachers and lecturers hounded from their jobs simply because they dare to be critical and not toe the line 'they' set.

OK so it is not going on 'all the time everywhere' , but it happens and it is becoming more common. Speakers who want to put forward an alternative viewpoint are prevented from speaking. Even if you are of a completely opposite standpoint it behoves places of education to listen to what they have to say. Not to provide them with any kind of justification but so that their views can be examined and discussed. The left seem to want absolutely no discussion about anything they say. It leads people to think they can not back up their arguments.

'the racist dog whistles and incitement to nationalism coming from leading figures on the leave side of the debate, the talk about scrapping human rights and the scapegoating of immigrants,
Yes all that is awful but not all 'right-wingers' think and act like that. I could say ... well look at 'Left wing Labour...Anti-Semetic Labour. How awful that all Labour voters are Nazi sympathisers.' I wouldn't say that because it is clearly nonsense. (I voted Labour myself) In just the same way that the lunatic who killed Jo Cox is in no way representative of people who voted Brexit.

Going back a long way I have been at the sharp end of intimidation by the left in the shape of union bullys. TBH it was something and nothing but I had a mate who was a miner and he had much the same but for him it was much more personal and much more direct and being in a dangerous work place with these thugs day after day it was very real.

So don't tell me the left is all 'cuddly and sweet' and on my side. when they are every bit as nasty as the right. The new facists are anti-facists.

So swapping the word 'right' for 'left' is OK. Just a matter of perspective.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@colly and @winjim this was supposed to be a light hearted thread. I fully understand and appreciate everyones right to their view (within reason) but can we leave this thread light hearted......thanks.

classic33

Leg End Member
Eilen Jewell
Down the Road
Though my way is rough and rocky And the night is bitter cold
Still I see a warm light
Ahead on down the road
Down the road, Down the road I know
I’ll be guided onward down the road, down the road

The winds they may be howling
And my cares too much to hold
Yet I know there’ll be a wayside
To rest my weary soul
I’ll be good and rested down the road, down the road

I might be lost somehow
Have strayed from the fold
But just as sure as the sun will rise I’ll find my way back home
I’ll be guided onward down the road, down the road

&

Some Things Weren’t Meant to Be
A lucky horseshoe in a pile of junk
An old gold strike returned to the dust A hot rod decaying in the thorns and the weeds
Some things weren’t meant to be
Some things weren’t meant to be"​

Jenkins

Legendary Member
And the Mac of Fleet, too:

Why don't you ask him if he's going to stay?
Why don't you ask him if he's going away?
Why don't you tell me what's going on?
Why don't you tell me who's on the phone?
Why don't you ask him what's going on?
Why don't you ask him who's the latest on his throne?
Don't say that you love me
Just tell me that you want me
Tusk
Just say that you want me
Just tell me that you
Tusk
Tusk
Tusk
If we're quoting Fleetwood Mac...

Tell me lies
Tell me sweet little lies
(Tell me lies, tell me, tell me lies)
Oh, no, no you can't disguise
(You can't disguise, no you can't disguise)
Tell me lies
Tell me sweet little lies...

There's something about Fleetwood Mac & Brexit...

Top Bottom