The early season day races thread 2013 *SPOILERS*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
There's probably no point in having a thread for every single day race that happens, so here's one for updates and discussion on all those early season day races before we get to the Classics.

It was the season opener in Italy today, the Trofeo Laigueglia, and Pippo Pozzato, recovered from recent controversies, took it over Francesco Reda and Mauro Santambrogio.

raindog

er.....
I love this time of year with the semi-classics, especially them oop north with cold, rain, mud and even the odd cobble.

oldroadman

Veteran
I love this time of year with the semi-classics, especially them oop north with cold, rain, mud and even the odd cobble.
Yes, lovely, nice warm weather early season training, some cooler races by the Med, then into the realm of cold mixed with "Belgian toothpaste". Wonderful. Whoever said bet on a Belgian is spot on, they at least are used to horrible weather.

raindog

er.....
Yep, reckon both Hushovd and Lars are good picks for saturday - they both seem to be in good early form. I'd like to see Boonen up there myself, but he didn't look too great on his last outing.

I'd love to see Cav get it again on sunday but Greipel's down to ride - going to be an interesting one that.

thom

____
OPQS are riding for Terpstra and Chavanel on Sat - Boonen's injury just knocked out too much of his training apparently

raindog

er.....
cheers thom - I wondered if it might be Chav going for it with Boonen looking so weak.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Despite him being Dutch not Belgian, I think I am going for Terpstra. He's been coming into some form lately. I wonder who Sky will be riding for? I would reckon Geraint Thomas in the Omloop, and I would say he has a chance, and EBH at KBK this year given that the latter is more suitable for sprinters + where he will undoubtedly be beaten by Cav!

dragon72

Guru
I'm not so sure about EBH. I used to be a fan, because I like Norway as I used to live there and because he's part of a "British" team, and because he was always there or thereabouts and I had hopes.
But actually he's more a "thereabouts" guy than a "there" guy, so I've lost interest. What has he actually won? A points jersey here and there in some Div 2 short tours, a stage in the Tirreno Adriatico and the Dolphin-y. Pretty good but still a bit "meh".

beastie

Guru
He was a P.Gilbert away from a rainbow jersey mind. I think he is still a case of unfulfilled potential, a Jack of all trades, master of none. Sky may still wish to use him as a super-domestique in stage racing, he showed he is good for that anyway.

thom

____
He was a P.Gilbert away from a rainbow jersey mind.
Exactly. He's just 25. He races for a team who prioritised GT success so far. Having got that now they are looking to one day races now.
EBH will win some big one day races - Phillipe Gilbert was 25 / 26 for his debut pro season. By that comparison, EBH is ahead of him.

raindog

er.....
Yes, EBH is still young - got his best days ahead of him hopefully. Didn't he win a superb stage in the Tour the year before last?

The Couch

Über Member
Despite him being Dutch not Belgian, I think I am going for Terpstra. He's been coming into some form lately.
What about perhaps a semi-Belgian? Zdenek Stybar
It's perhaps a pretty long shot, but especially if the weather is looking icy cold, he must be feeling himself in his element (being a cyclocrosser and coming from Czechia). I know Patrick Lefévère was only hinting this week on Terpstra and (to a lesser extent) Chavanel, however looking at the form he had in his few cyclocrosses and his promising results in Oman, I think he should be in the discussion.

And of course since he probably feels almost as Flemish as Czech, I think it's the (Flemish) spring classics he would like to win at some time.

The riders and managers themselves apparently are targeting Roelandts, Boom and Van Avermaet as being the top favorites.

Top Bottom