The end of hand me down mobile phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My network provider ( The only one that works in my village?) Sent me a Text to say they are switching off 3g . I thought I would have a look and see if I could find another but as ASDA mobile run on top of Vodafone ( Vodafone being the first to switch it off) It now means my mobile is scrap/e waste I have a couple of other very basic phones that use 2g which I should be able to use for a while ( until they switch that off). 4g is very patchy and 5g doesn't exist for about 10 miles (as far as my lad tells me). This has made it even worse as I was about to ditch my very slow internet connection and use my phone as a hotspot on 3g which is much faster. Anyway here is the Article

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59583783

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get a new Nokia if you are worried. Shoot moves on. I let the round dial phone go many years ago ! :tongue:

My network provider ( The only one that works in my village?) Sent me a Text to say they are switching off 3g . I thought I would have a look and see if I could find another but as ASDA mobile run on top of Vodafone ( Vodafone being the first to switch it off) It now means my mobile is scrap/e waste I have a couple of other very basic phones that use 2g which I should be able to use for a while ( until they switch that off). 4g is very patchy and 5g doesn't exist for about 10 miles (as far as my lad tells me). This has made it even worse as I was about to ditch my very slow internet connection and use my phone as a hotspot on 3g which is much faster. Anyway here is the Article

All mobiles, without exception, have 2G capability, so very few, if any phones will stop working when 3G goes. 2G will follow, however, but not until late in the decade. No provider has set any dates for 2G switch-off.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic

2G will be around for many years to come for wide area “umbrella“ coverage. It’s used by most utility smart meters for a start. Your 3G phone will happily revert to that so you’re good for calls and SMS. Not great for your hot spot application, I admit.

Drago

Legendary Member

Sounds a blissful state of affairs to me.

Alex321

Veteran
It really doesn't mean "The end of hand me down mobile phones" though, as your rater clickbait thread title suggests.

It means that some older phones only have limited use as hand-me-downs. But most of the people who want good internet access would already have been rejecting those phones anyhow, since 4G (or later 5G) has been the norm in smartphones for a good many years, and 2G will still be available on those older phones for those who don't want high powered internet access.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was working for BT ( I worked in IT for BT from 1984 - 1998) before 2G was around. When almost all mobile phones were built in to cars because they were too big & heavy to carry around.

What gets me is the fact that it seems like only yesterday that I was doing this. And all that stuff taking up space in my head ... all completely obsolete now.

I did a brief stint at BT Cellnet - remember them?

Last edited:
Top Bottom