The England permutations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkstar

marinyork said:
Didn't get that second goal though did we :biggrin:. Will probably end up being very important.
If we're going to win the world cup, we will have to beat Argentina at some point. I know the odds are against us, but this world cup has been a funny one. Most of the top sides have had a rocky path through the group stages, anything could happen. Argentina's defence has looked weak at points.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
darkstar said:
If we're going to win the world cup, we will have to beat Argentina at some point. I know the odds are against us, but this world cup has been a funny one. Most of the top sides have had a rocky path through the group stages, anything could happen. Argentina's defence has looked weak at points.

People say this kind of stuff in 1998 - unimaginative drivel. I don't expect England to win the world cup, but it'd have been really nice to get to the semis. One doesn't necessarily win world cups by beating the best sides, one does it by jammily avoiding them for as long as possible in the hope someone else will beat them and then playing better later on.

darkstar

marinyork said:
People say this kind of stuff in 1998 - unimaginative drivel. I don't expect England to win the world cup, but it'd have been really nice to get to the semis. One doesn't necessarily win world cups by beating the best sides, one does it by jammily avoiding them for as long as possible in the hope someone else will beat them and then playing better later on.
Sorry, it's not drivel from my point of view, i've believed England could win the world cup from the start. Anything can happen over the next 4 games, remember they have not lost one yet. I know we're not likely to win it, but there is a chance now it's through to the knockout stages.

I look for the positives in everything, very much a glass half full type of person. Just leave me to it, yeh?:biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If we'd been in the other side of the draw, I'd agree - we're not though. England have never done 1-0 wins well. If they carry on playing like that it'll be an enjoyable tournament, as it may be anyway with smaller teams getting through and opening up.

Top Bottom