The Escape Artist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Dave5N said:
I find Matt Seaton hard going - he's not much of a writer.

Isn't that a matter of opinion stated as fact?:smile:

and why did you want to go into Rhythym Thiefs draw for the book?

no offence, just intrigued.

dodgy

When I finish my book I'll give it away here, too. I like the idea that others will benefit, though I suppose we're taking away some income from Mr Seaton :tongue:

Dave.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I thoroughly enjoyed it, it's an excellent explanation of roadie lore and the obsession with cleanliness, mechanical perfection and leg shaving.

The climax of the story was a shock to me, I gasped when I read it. There has been another book written about that by the very person who it concerns. (Don't want to spoil the end for you.)

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

Golly, that was a sad little book. Not entirely sure what to make of it.

While I decide I've moved straight on to Stephen Roche's "The Agony and The Ecstacy" with David Walsh. Now, I don't much care for Mr. Walsh but I like this book from page 1. Btw, has anyone other than Merckx and Roche won the Giro, the Tour and the World Champs in the same year?

bc

Haitch

Flim Flormally
beancounter said:
Golly, that was a sad little book. Not entirely sure what to make of it.

That's what I thought, too. Seaton wrote two books, one about cycling and one abut his personal life and somehow the two didn't gel. And all that bumf about it being cycling's equivalent of Fever Pitch was just lies.

beancounter said:
Btw, has anyone other than Merckx and Roche won the Giro, the Tour and the World Champs in the same year?

Last month's Cycle Sport says Merckx and Roche are the only people to have won all three of them.

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

Alan H said:
That's what I thought, too. Seaton wrote two books, one about cycling and one abut his personal life and somehow the two didn't gel. And all that bumf about it being cycling's equivalent of Fever Pitch was just lies.

Exactly what I was feeling Alan, thanks for summing it up so well.

Anyway, I've now finished the Roche book and bloomin' excellent it was too. What a year in 1987! (although perhaps the opposition wasn't the best it's ever been).

Now I've moved straight on to "Lance Armstrong's War" by Daniel Coyle. Having bought the thing off e-bay I find it's the US edition of a book I already have (Lance Armstrong: Tour de Force) but I paid for it so I'm gonna read the bloody thing.

bc

p.s. actually it's a good book so no problem.

Top Bottom