The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mick Mudd

Über Member
I still see cyclists do the same thing. Madness. It's just common sense to hang back, but seems a lot of our fellow commuters have little of it.

Yeah, I wrongly assumed truckers had 360-degree all-round vision..;)

simongt

Guru
Yeah, I wrongly assumed truckers had 360-degree all-round vision..
A lot of folk assume that with the multiple mirrors on most trucks that this gives the driver constant 360 degree vision. :dry:
They fail to appreciate / realise / understand that the driver's eyes can only look into one set; nearside or offside at any given time. :whistle:
And in the couple of seconds it takes to switch to looking into the opposite mirrors, a lot can happen. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
It's common sense that only direct vision lorries should be allowed on residential or retail streets (possibly any road) but our legislators have no common sense either.

It will come. That is a requirement now for trucks of 12 tonnes or over driving into Greater London, and I'm sure that will be extended to other cities.

Reactions: mjr
I used to pedal a total of 12 miles a day to and from work across the city but amazingly survived..:smile:
A truck nearly squished me once, we were stopped at the traffic lights and I was in 'D', and when the lights turned green I began pedalling straight on because I assumed the truck would be doing the same thing, but to my shock horror he began turning left at pointblank range in front of me and I instinctively took evasive action and lived to pedal another day.
After that I was very careful to stay out of blind spots..:smile:
View attachment 715726

You'd think the people in Zone C would realise they're in for a Grey Gloop Shower Surprise.

Top Bottom