The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
wow #1 - Do not go out on a bike in Britain unless you are an aggressive bastard of the first order. but yeah, #10 ... not gonna happen

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
wow #1 - Do not go out on a bike in Britain unless you are an aggressive bastard of the first order. but yeah, #10 ... not gonna happen
Don't worry. It's mostly either not all of Britain like that or just plain wrong. A blissed-out pootle on cycleways in MK or Cambridge is pretty different from that sort of highway warrioring in Glasgow.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Just working my way through this; all seems like common sense / approaches I already take so far; but I'm sure there's plenty to be learned and so far it looks like a really comprehensive, useful guide - thanks :smile:

Albrey

Just had a quick look. In last month, main issue I'm having is on narrow residential roads when there's a car coming in opposite direction - and one of us should yield. I'm inclined sometimes to think they should yield but they don't which has resulted in several close passes..

Clearly I should just accept that I have more at stake in this and just yield.. :headshake:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Just had a quick look. In last month, main issue I'm having is on narrow residential roads when there's a car coming in opposite direction - and one of us should yield. I'm inclined sometimes to think they should yield but they don't which has resulted in several close passes..

Clearly I should just accept that I have more at stake in this and just yield.. :headshake:

My experience is that many motorists will push through if they see a hesitant road user, whatever the situation.

I yield if the other road user has clear priority, but if I have priority I position myself to show that I intend to proceed.

It seems to work here in the south west, but I recognise things may be different in other places.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My experience is that many motorists will push through if they see a hesitant road user, whatever the situation.

I yield if the other road user has clear priority, but if I have priority I position myself to show that I intend to proceed.

It seems to work here in the south west, but I recognise things may be different in other places.

Its how it works in London and the south east.

However, as us hardened cycle commuters know all too well, it doesn't always work out well. Some car drivers really do believe that cyclists have no priority or rights on the road what so ever and are happy to bully their way through.

Albrey

Yeah - I think I've been cycling quite assertively. I tend to think that you can tell from 100+m away with some drivers that they aren't going to yield unless you place yourself in the centre of the road and bring everything to a standstill.

Probably better just to accept this, and find a gap to yield in..

Albrey

Hmm.. today I'm on a quiet residential road - cars paked both side. Van coming towards me... nowhere for me to yield, gaps on their side of the road. He slows down fractionally and makes a minimal change in direction to avoid driving straight into me.. probably passes with 18" spare.. :rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: C R

Mick Mudd

Über Member
I used to pedal a total of 12 miles a day to and from work across the city but amazingly survived..:smile:
A truck nearly squished me once, we were stopped at the traffic lights and I was in 'D', and when the lights turned green I began pedalling straight on because I assumed the truck would be doing the same thing, but to my shock horror he began turning left at pointblank range in front of me and I instinctively took evasive action and lived to pedal another day.
After that I was very careful to stay out of blind spots..:smile:
truck-blindspots.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I used to pedal a total of 12 miles a day to and from work across the city but amazingly survived..:smile:
A truck nearly squished me once, we were stopped at the traffic lights and I was in 'D', and when the lights turned green I began pedalling straight on because I assumed the truck would be doing the same thing, but to my shock horror he began turning left at pointblank range in front of me and I instinctively took evasive action and lived to pedal another day.
After that I was very careful to stay out of blind spots..:smile:
View attachment 715726

I still see cyclists do the same thing. Madness. It's just common sense to hang back, but seems a lot of our fellow commuters have little of it.

Top Bottom