The fallacy of "servicing" a bicycle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru
I get @Globalti's point - keeping your gears and brakes well adjusted is routine maintenance in much the same way as topping up your windscreen washer reservoir. But I think of 'servicing' as being more of an overhaul, replacing worn out parts such as chains, cassettes, brake blocks, cables, bottom brackets. For people who don't do their own regular maintenance (whatever the reason), getting an annual service of this kind might not be such a bad idea.

For anyone who finds keeping their gears well adjusted a challenge, there's a new device that uses an iPhone app to help you adjust your rear mech alignment. I've used it and it's actually pretty good - I've always managed fine without such a device but for those who are less confident, it might be worth trying.
http://ottodesignworks.com/
Seems expensive for what it is though! You buy the parts then you pay a subscription for the iPhone software.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Seems expensive for what it is though! You buy the parts then you pay a subscription for the iPhone software.

I think the subscription service is optional - only needed if you want the full range of features. I agree it's not cheap for what it is, but it works, which might make it worthwhile for some people.

keithmac

Guru
Nothing wrong with that friend,as long as you are out on a bike,it's all good .:thumbsup:
I'm loving the stout fork on the G-Tech,and the second one has what looks like a Sektor fork(which I use)

Yeh, the Gtech rides really well!, I had to fit a Suntour NCX seatpost though just to keep my back happy.

The Carrera has Rock Shox on the front and may treat it to an NCX post as well.

I've been biking over 30 years now, bought the Gtech to try something a bit different a month ago and I'm glad I did!.

For anyone who wants to keep their gears adjusted (and this is from someone who used to vaguely turn things this way and that in the hope of straying across the answer) i recommend the park tools method. As outlined in the big blue book of bicycle maintenance (various editions) and i think for free on the website. First step is to deliberately send all your gears out of step/all to buggery (wonderful yorkshire/lancashire phrase) and from there on in it's all uphill. Apart from that, switch to 8 speed (times 3) and then things only rarely slip out of adjustment and are soon fixed.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I was that chap who didn't know how to do much beyond fix a puncture. In fact, I was looking for information on headsets when I found the wonderful world of cycling forums.
Thanks to advice on here, YouTube and elsewhere on the Web, my bikes now rarely go to a bike shop.
The other day, I was in a cafe /bikeshop and there was a bloke in there in the middle of his ride as his (expensive looking) bike had a derailleur problem. All it needed was a small adjustment of one of the limit screws.
Four or five years ago I might have been that chap (without the expensive bike tho).
I'm all for encouraging people to learn, but there's no harm in being a novice.
We all have to start somewhere.
:okay:

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
It's slighly strange to me, I can't remember anyone else fixing my bike when I was young and I'm trying to get my 9 year old lad self sufficient for the main part.

I've always told my 2 children try your best, if they mess things up fair enough but at least they've had a go!.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's one of those books that most people only read about half way ... And I'm one.
I've read it a few times,try Carlos Castaneda 's books on Mexican Indian peyote induced trances for real weird.
I have pretty much the same approach to bikes as you,headsets are about the only thing I don't do due to tools.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I think bikes are going the way of cars in that components are becoming more integrated and less user-serviceable. I don't fundamentally have a problem with this, but it does become an issue when you're tied into a specific manufacturer or cartel.
I've read it a few times,try Carlos Castaneda 's books on Mexican Indian peyote induced trances for real weird.
William Burroughs' cut-up novels. I lasted 10 pages, and I've read Ulysses.

I think bikes are going the way of cars in that components are becoming more integrated and less user-serviceable. I don't fundamentally have a problem with this, but it does become an issue when you're tied into a specific manufacturer or cartel.

Which integrated non user servicable bits are you thinking of, so that i am forewarned and can maybe start stocking up?

I very definitely have an issue with it.

Reactions: mjr

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 4472347, member: 259"]This thread is going a bit twin peaks.[/QUOTE]
giphy.gif

Top Bottom