The Football season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
ComedyPilot said:
6 months of tv hibernation coming up.

Sorry to break it to you like this but 2010 is a World Cup year so i'd plan a 12 months hibernation :blush:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Hoooray it's back!

Oh apart from the score, but a good display :ohmy:

I'll have to fit my riding round it...

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
PaulB said:
Unless you get into it and embrace it. Seriously, you'd love it if you did.

I have never liked it, and never will. I prefer doing my own thing and having adventure and excitement in my life. More of a doer than a spectator.

Each to their own. My best mate's a Kingston Upon Hull City fan, and I pass the time of day with him about it, but have no desire or urge to go any further with my interest.

I don't think there is anything wrong with me per se, I just prefer adventure sports to watching someone (who kicks a bag of wind around) getting paid enough a month to pay off most spectator's mortgages.

After all I am a Yorkshireman, and like to see value for money. I didn't think Lancashiremen were that differerent in that respect?

akaAndrew

PaulB said:
I just wonder why people take such an interest to come on and let us know how uninterested they are.

Odd innit? I reckon they must be in denial! :ohmy:

Of course all have an opinion and are at complete liberty to make it known, so no problem with that at all. It just seems to me to be defining yourself by negatives. A compulsive need to tell others that you're not interested in something quite specific. I mean, there must be loads of things they're equally not interested in and we don't hear about those things!

But whatever...

My interest is in the championship this year and I spent some time yesterday afternoon watching Ipswich v Leicester on bet365. Supporting a team is odd. There's little rationality behind it (which is why winding up other fans can be a doddle and has become a bit of a national sport in itself!).

I'd imagine Everton fans are distraught at the moment (been there, have to laugh!) but they'll be back next week. All part of it. Thankfully, it's not as serious as some make out. Only a game.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
akaAndrew said:
I'd imagine Everton fans are distraught at the moment (been there, have to laugh!) but they'll be back next week. All part of it. Thankfully, it's not as serious as some make out. Only a game.

I remember being dragged to an Everton game in the 90's and all the pre match talk was about whether we should stay for "the boo" at the end of the game or hit the pubs early.

snorri

Legendary Member
akaAndrew said:
. It just seems to me to be defining yourself by negatives. A compulsive need to tell others that you're not interested in something quite specific. I mean, there must be loads of things they're equally not interested in and we don't hear about those things!

As you say, there are lots of things that football non supporters may be equally not interested in, but these things do no get all year round saturation coverage in the media.
Cricket and tennis may not be everyones cup of tea, but these sports get media coverage only for a short period every year unlike football coverage which goes on ad nauseam, there is just no escape.:ohmy:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
snorri said:
As you say, there are lots of things that football non supporters may be equally not interested in, but these things do no get all year round saturation coverage in the media.
Cricket and tennis may not be everyones cup of tea, but these sports get media coverage only for a short period every year unlike football coverage which goes on ad nauseam, there is just no escape.:ohmy:

There is, it's called the 'off' button.

I went out a few years ago for a beer with a mate who lived in Middlesborough, and he was a big Boro fan. In one pub it was wall to wall plasma tv's with a Boro match live. I stood drinking and chatting to my mate with my back to the 'action'. The looks on people's faces (men and women) who couldn't understand why I wasn't watching or even interested was amazing.

akaAndrew

Thanks for the link dellzegg. I must say that Arsenal when they click must be, imho, the most attractive team in the UK to watch. It is poetry, as you say. But that was shooting fish in a barrel. Absolutely shocking defending by Everton, especially on set pieces.

And Fellaini's bouf is, um, interesting.... to say the least.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Hey ho Good old Auntie also covering the Football League .With a second footy show sat night.

Must say i did not see the finish.Three tinnies and 12-15 i was tired.

Great to see the lower leagues at last.

akaAndrew

With the TV, have it switched off and only turn it on (if at all) when there's something you want to watch.

For the radio, listen to Radio 3.

HTH :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
postman said:
Has started unless you support Everton.6-1.

Positive side much better coverage by ESPN than old Setanta.

And a game on monday night also.

+1. Apart the the weird SD/HD transitions but that's understandable. Better than Setanta in so many ways.

postman said:
Hey ho Good old Auntie also covering the Football League .With a second footy show sat night.

Must say i did not see the finish.Three tinnies and 12-15 i was tired.

Great to see the lower leagues at last.

+1 and what is it 10 live matches a year too?

Top Bottom