The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
The current matches generally do not show the the vastly overhyped Premiership as being any different to the games offered in other leagues; be it two clueless teams playing, one team dominating an opposition who are beyond clueless or a game only memorable for the 30seconds of a moment of brilliance. A NHS etc tribute mural has been put on the outside of Meadow Lane as the National League Play-Off semi-final approaches. Not much chance based on previous play-off form for Notts and the football league can must likely expect the arrival of the bookies favourites, Harrogate Town, in which case there will be a rapid removal of their plastic pitch and opposition teams complaining about the limited supply of tickets available at that plainly non-league ground. The only times Notts have been promoted through the play-offs Neil Warnock was manager and they finished the season in the top play-off place 7 points clear of the next team (1989/90 old Div 3 and the following season old Div 2) so both times were promoted despite the play-offs.

gavgav

Guru
I was priviledged to see them live in the 60s/70s/80s when they "swept all before them".
My wish for years was for my son to see them win the league.
So......yes, my wish has come about but its a bit flat.
It will be memorable but for some sad reasons.
Let’s hope we can repeat it next season and that fans will be allowed back to see it. I’ve not been to see them live (other than as a Shrewsbury fan against the kids, in the FA Cup, which doesn’t count) for about 4 years now, as tickets have become harder to get. Must try again next season.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Let’s hope we can repeat it next season and that fans will be allowed back to see it. I’ve not been to see them live (other than as a Shrewsbury fan against the kids, in the FA Cup, which doesn’t count) for about 4 years now, as tickets have become harder to get. Must try again next season.
My nephew is a season ticket holder at Liverpool. His father is a season ticket holder at Norwich. On average, they are having a middling season between them.

PaulB

Legendary Member
The current matches generally do not show the the vastly overhyped Premiership as being any different to the games offered in other leagues; be it two clueless teams playing, one team dominating an opposition who are beyond clueless or a game only memorable for the 30seconds of a moment of brilliance. A NHS etc tribute mural has been put on the outside of Meadow Lane as the National League Play-Off semi-final approaches. Not much chance based on previous play-off form for Notts and the football league can must likely expect the arrival of the bookies favourites, Harrogate Town, in which case there will be a rapid removal of their plastic pitch and opposition teams complaining about the limited supply of tickets available at that plainly non-league ground. The only times Notts have been promoted through the play-offs Neil Warnock was manager and they finished the season in the top play-off place 7 points clear of the next team (1989/90 old Div 3 and the following season old Div 2) so both times were promoted despite the play-offs.
View attachment 534238
I once officiated at Meadow Lane and have to admit, I favoured the home side. In fact, (music) I was a linesman for the County.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A question for you all.
Do you think Rangers can catch or overtake
Celtic ?
Just read an article from an ex player saying Stevie G will not leave until he wins the league.
Failing some wealthy people doing a Chelsea/Man City I can't see it happening any time soon.
I would like to see it.....just to even things up, just cant see it though.
What think you?

Slick

Guru
A question for you all.
Do you think Rangers can catch or overtake
Celtic ?
Just read an article from an ex player saying Stevie G will not leave until he wins the league.
Failing some wealthy people doing a Chelsea/Man City I can't see it happening any time soon.
I would like to see it.....just to even things up, just cant see it though.
What think you?
Obviously I am a big fan and that obviously means not everyone will agree with my sentiments and furthermore, any fan can easily point to results over the past 9 years, but as we all know, past performances are no guarantee of future success. My opinion was that he assembled a squad capable of doing it last season, albeit the first team was a pretty thin blue line but I identified Rangers winning the new year game in Celtics own back yard as the perfect yardstick to show we were capable of going on to finally lift the title, which we did and I don't think that should be underestimated as an achievement to go into the winter break on top. This is where our interpretation is likely to diverge, as quite rightly, Celtic fans will feel that their quality saw them push on from there and string an impressive run of results together but Rangers fans feel that Stevie made a huge error during the winter getaway when he disciplined half the squad for nights out but not his favourites and he lost the dressing room in the second half of the season so we will never know the potential of that particular squad. That's not meant to take anything away from Celtic as they cruised well ahead and I tip my hat to them, although I was always confident we would take them home and away before the season finished which wasn't always the case in previous seasons.
This season is another thing altogether, when will it start, will there be fans, will all the clubs still be around to finish the season, will there be league reconstruction, will there be SPL reconstruction and how will the current legal challenges be finished and what effect will that have on the entire landscape up here? There will be other questions that need answering but that's just a few off the top of my head. We have also signed a couple of new boys who haven't quite captured the imagination yet but it's early days and the long and short of it is, this is Stevies last chance for success, this season is do or die for him and dropping silly points away from home can not be accepted this season.

Other opinions are available. :okay:

MarkF

Guru
I think there's still a gulf and this is illuminates it, Celtic are hoping to keep Fraser Forster whilst Rangers have just signed Jon McLaughlin, a L1/L2 keeper bombed out by Phil Parkinson...again. Rangers time will come again, it always does,

Slick

Guru
I think there's still a gulf and this is illuminates it, Celtic are hoping to keep Fraser Forster whilst Rangers have just signed Jon McLaughlin, a L1/L2 keeper bombed out by Phil Parkinson...again. Rangers time will come again, it always does,
You may be overlooking the rest of our goalkeeping staff. :okay:

AndyRM

XOXO
I'd be surprised if Forster stays at Celtic, he must be incredibly bored during matches.

Only reason I can see him staying is to be part of ten in a row, which I reckon will probably happen. Rangers have improved a fair bit, but are totally reliant on Morelos for goals.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The penalty against Villa was pathetic if anything it was foul against us,but hey ho the circus goes on
I can only commend your calmness in the circs. Speaking as a neutral, I didn't see any 'if anything' about it.

1594339216365.png

It was proper horrible, and the assailant got a penalty. From a professional, with unlimited time and a choice of camera angles. I mean, seriously?

PaulB

Legendary Member
It's hard to ignore what's happening here. The powers that run the Premier League want Manchester United in the Champions League at the expense of Sheffield United and Wolves. It's almost as if Howard Webb had some supervisory position at Stockley Park isn't it?

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
The penalty against Villa was pathetic if anything it was foul against us,but hey ho the circus goes on

The penalty was abysmal and how VAR supported the refs decision is beyond me, saying that the second goal was awful defending by Mings, yet again. Overall we thoroughly deserved to lose even with the bad penalty decision. Unless we win the next two games out of the four remaining we are relegated.

Top Bottom