The Forth & Clyde Canal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zoso7

Is the tow path along the Forth & Clyde Canal suitable for a road bike with 700x25c tyres?!

I've just ordered a Giant Defy 2.5 as my first road/first bike in 10+ years and 95%+ of my riding will be on the road but just wanted to know the answer to this should the canal take my fancy one day. Due to clearance of the brakes 700x25c tyres is the largest possible i believe, would the current tyres be capable or not?! would they need to be upgraded from the current Kenda Kriterium's that are on there or is the type of surface just not an option on this type of bike?!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have done some sections near Falkirk on 700x25c, shouldn't be a problem if you don't mind being the ride being a wee bit rough...

OP
OP
Z

zoso7

Thanks for the reply!!

Not to bothered about it being a little bumpy, quite prepared for it actually!! just want to make sure that i wont do any damage to my bike (frame/wheels) & constantly getting p*******s?!

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
I'd be REALLY careful at some bits. There are lots of hawthorn hedges alongside the path and that = lots of p******s

I've cycled the path many times but never on my road bike. Even on my Hybrid I've had a load of you-know-whats.

Jim_Noir

I was on this today to scope it out for a ride to Falkirk. After you pass Maryhill towards speirs warf it's all lose stones, not gravel but stones. I was thinking how I would do it on a road bike, was on a MTB and that didn't like it!

MrRidley

The bit at Kilsyth is in my opinion a no go for a road bike, that section is covered with very loose stones/rocks, but the road run's along side it so you can follow this for a while.

Jim_Noir

Why use loose stones, it's not like you can really walk on them either. The bit I was on today I used the grass verge, as where all the folks walking along.... this this is one for Go Bike mailing list!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
zoso7 said:
Thanks for the reply!!

Not to bothered about it being a little bumpy, quite prepared for it actually!! just want to make sure that i wont do any damage to my bike (frame/wheels) & constantly getting p*******s?!

Sound like you either need to pump your tyres harder or get better tyres, are you getting two wee holes without any sign of penetration through the tyre? If yes that suggest that you need to keep the pressure higher. Other than that get some Conti GatorSkins...

irishceltie

I wouldnt try it on my road bike mate. This time last year i was working in glasgow and i used to go on the tow path regular. Loved it. Went 40 miles one sunday. However that was on my claud butler hybrid. I recently bought a giant defy 2 and i treat it like a son- no way would i chance it on that tow path.

Top Bottom