The French have made it mandatory to have your bike marked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Registering bikes is a good idea, but as everything 'the powers that be' come up with, it's the proper establishing and administering of said plan that would be a logistic nightmare, quite apart form the setup and running costs. :whistle:

DRM

Guru
Engraving a carbon frame will do it no favours, aluminium frames will suffer from the white powder corrosion where the paint has been damaged, and why each new bike comes with a frame number, just record that, what a stupid unnecessary system, Ill thought out by well intentioned idiots

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be a bit of a faff to inform the registration people about selling a bike to a new owner, having to get the new address and details and then updating said details?
All new Triumph motorcycles are datatagged at registration. If you sell the bike the new owner fills in the form and then sends it off to datatag for details registering. Its quick and simple. Done it many times. Surely they could do something similar for cycles. Many bikes have loads of pin head size id tags inside engine parts, frame, dropped inside tank and all show up when scanned to avoid bikes been broken down for parts and unable to identify.

yo vanilla

We had something similar in my hometown as a child (80's, 90's). You can see the license sticker here on my old 1993 Mongoose (seatpost):
20190326_114358.jpg

They were issued by the police station, by request so not mandatory. IDK if they've ever really helped recover a bike, but they were nearly impossible to remove

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's just the French being a bunch of dickheads, as usual. They'll also selectively choose whether to obey or enforce it, again as usual. They can do whatever stupid shoot they want, luckily there's the English Channel between them and us and we are on the good side of it. :laugh:

Tom B

Guru
.... I wonder if they could just update the dog.

Problem is it is in someonelses name so they'll probably cite some nonsense about DPA and not do it.

He's getting old and knackered now it's probably not worth it.

Top Bottom