The French have made it mandatory to have your bike marked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
When i was visiting Denmark 20 years ago, i was told by a native that around one in five bikes were stolen... so 20% :eek:

@steveindenmark will probably have a better idea.
To be honest I have no idea. They say there is about 1.5 bikes for every resident in Denmark. When you go to Copenhagen and Arhus there are thousands of them parked on top of each other. It is mind boggling. If someone took your bike in Denmark, you could quite easily take someone elses and down the line it would go. I doubt if anyone would be inconvenienced 😁 But all new bikes are registered at the sale point in Denmark. I dont know when the register started. But there is an app I can check on to see if a bike is reported stolen.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
To be honest I have no idea. They say there is about 1.5 bikes for every resident in Denmark. When you go to Copenhagen and Arhus there are thousands of them parked on top of each other. It is mind boggling. If someone took your bike in Denmark, you could quite easily take someone elses and down the line it would go. I doubt if anyone would be inconvenienced 😁 But all new bikes are registered at the sale point in Denmark. I dont know when the register started. But there is an app I can check on to see if a bike is reported stolen.
Yes! When i saw them all parked up, about fifteen wide and seven deep, I thought about the poor souls who parked their bikes early... how on earth do they get to their own bike??? :eek:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It’s all a daft idea, but why would ownership details be any more accessible by reading a bar or QR code than, say, a car index plate?

Years ago it was common for bikes to have house number and postcode stamped on the bottom bracket. I‘m not aware that contributed to theft.

Also imagine the Gendarmerie deciding to have a check in popular cycling areas and having to deal with all the tourists in summer that bring their bikes with them, strapped to cars, motorhomes & tucked inside caravans, it's just unworkable, an answer to a problem no one has, all you have to do is note your bikes frame number down, it's not rocket science.

This is my question as well. I can cycle into France from here fairly easily, and judging by the procession of bike over the Rhine bridges I'm not the only one that happily does it. In other places there isn't even a natural border and the first you notice is when the signs change.
The local gendarmerie in border regions will have to be ready to check ID's of everyone whose bike doesn't have a sticker on it, or they'll have to stand on the bridge giving out stickers and taking registration details which seems a rather silly waste of their time in either case.

It’s all a daft idea, but why would ownership details be any more accessible by reading a bar or QR code than, say, a car index plate?

Years ago it was common for bikes to have house number and postcode stamped on the bottom bracket. I‘m not aware that contributed to theft.

It depends who has a reader. I can write down a number on a number plate if I want to report someone but I don't know where the owner lives from the plate. If a reader/QR code can retrieve this we have to make sure access to readers/apps is very carefully limited.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It depends who has a reader. I can write down a number on a number plate if I want to report someone but I don't know where the owner lives from the plate. If a reader/QR code can retrieve this we have to make sure access to readers/apps is very carefully limited.
Exactly, it’s the database access that matters.

Still a solution looking for a problem though.

icowden

Veteran
Wouldn't it be a bit of a faff to inform the registration people about selling a bike to a new owner, having to get the new address and details and then updating said details?
As opposed to being a bit of a faff to put on the bar code and inform the registration people about selling a bike to a new owner, having to get the new address and details and then updating said details?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Even if implemented, this will be about as effective and enforced as the UK Microchipping of dogs Database, ie a total waste of time and effort.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As opposed to being a bit of a faff to put on the bar code and inform the registration people about selling a bike to a new owner, having to get the new address and details and then updating said details?
What do you do if the buyer refuses consent to give their personal info to the registration people?

A bike being registered with one of the commercial burglar's shopping list databases is a reason to buy a different bike IMO.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-mandatory-bicycle-ownership-register-thefts
It would appear that a quick google suggests this is news over 2 years old, I'm guessing it was soon realized it was a daft unworkable idea

Au contraire, as they say!

It’s been passed into law, according to this article.

”The law now applies to all bikes sold from January 1st and used cycle sales from July 1st, 2021. The legislation excludes children’s bikes with wheels of less than 16-inches in diameter and cycles already in circulation before the start of this year.”

And it’s not a plate or a barcode, it’s a number engraved into the frame, acting much like a VIN on a car.

At the end of the article there’s a short video showing the process.

Top Bottom