FNRttC The Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 27th August 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
CharlieB suggested his Brompton, there were a few more offers. Getting one of mine there and back would be a problem, sadly.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I wish I could be with you but have a good one y'all.

p.s. It's still p*ssing down on the south coast but the sky should be empty by 3/9

TimO

Guru
I see that Simon's cat, as a purveyor of the finest paw crafted weather forecasts to cyclists for the last several years, is currently forecasting bugger all useful information. Surprisingly my own furry weather station aka Talisker he who terrorises anything whose destiny is to provide light supper to the small felines of this world, is also equally lacking in useful information. He's managed to get quite wet this morning through failing to work out that the wet stuff is currently descending from the skies, so I'm not relying too much on him for a useful forecast.

XCWeather does look reasonably promising, with no precipitation forecast later on, after being a bit dribbly all day. There's a slight risk that extended drinking into the early evening would get us wet in Whitstable, so we'll be forced to leave earlier!

I have actually not cycled in to work today, to avoid my shoes getting soaked yet again. I've had to dry them out a couple of times this week, because they were utterly waterlogged. They got a bit wet this morning cycling to pick up a parcel, so I decided to give them the rest of the day off to dry out before the off this evening (well that's my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking to it!)

StuartG

slower but further
Can't you stuff your moggie with sufficient Beluga to cause sufficient flatulence around 9/10am to create the necessary windshift for the returners ... ?

matthew

Right the choices are:

1) the fixie which is known to be in good working order
2) the tourer which had a new rear wheel fitted yesterday.

The brakes have been adjusted and the gears approximately dialed in. This points to the fixie, however...

I woke up at 5am Thursday morning with cramp in my right calf and it is still slightly sore. I have experienced cramp going downhill on the fixed before and I don't want to repeat it.

I'll probably decide about 9:30 tonight when I have to start thinking about getting the train this evening.

TimO

Guru
It's a lovely sunny evening out, which bodes well for the remainder of the night. :thumbsup:

zigzag

Veteran
i might come and ride from hpc to surrey quays. it will be only the second night ride i'm missing this year :excl:

the clouds are clearing in Kent and the wind has died down so you all should be in for a clear night i reckon. Have a good one!

See you on the Southend ride
wave.gif

BigSteev

When will I learn not to fettle perfectly running machinery just before I need it!
No matter crisis averted and all is well again apart from no longer being able to mount a water bottle on the down tube.

TimO

Guru
When will I learn not to fettle perfectly running machinery just before I need it!

I really need to replace the chain and block, and I could do it before I need to leave, but sods law dictates that things will go wrong, so I'm going to leave it as is, and replace it in the remainder of the weekend. It's not as though this ride is exactly going to strain things too much, and the worst that is likely is the odd jump of gears.

It's safer to stick with something which is mostly working, than bugger it up and end up with something that's not working at all!

I think this evening will be OK with shorts, and probably a long sleeved jersey. It should still be mild enough not to need more than that.

I just need to capture the cat, now it's dark. He isn't going to appreciate it!

Jasper the Surrea

You see that probably there? What you need is a short sleeved jersey and something to make it long sleeved if necessary. If only I could think of the word.

A good sprinkling of fairy dust and a special wish will make them grow and grow.

I've gone for long sleeves which can be pushed up for radial cooling if deemed necessary.

Top Bottom