FNRttC The Fridays 2017 Tour On Tour Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Not another one TC?
But then you can get 'em fixed over a relaxed tour lunch I recall ...
Dr Evil is machining me a new hanger.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16392818 is a route between the port and Dover railway station. (This is going to the station rather than from it, but it is very accurate.)
Getting from Dover station to the port is not easy. And there are hundreds of enormous lorries thundering past. Do follow this route, it's about 15 minutes and you're more likely to be alive at the end of it.I suspect you might wish to gather at the station and go en masse. Up to you, obvs. Some of you may be familair with this route, if not I suggest you follow Mark.
If you follow that route, you're meant to walk part of Cannon Street, aren't you? When we went to the port last month, we continued along the dual carriageway, past the no-entry Queen Street, then left into a small car park and straight on through a ginnel, to join the cycle route by Il Rustico where it goes into the underpass under the A20. After that, it's fairly well signed.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Time to get into the Dutch mood.
IMG_20170627_111929684.jpg

IMG_20170627_160640636.jpg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Glad I found this thread. Must be something in the air as I'm riding to Breda then Baarle Nassau next week (Harwich- Hook ferry on Sunday night) aiming for Breda on Tuesday at my usual snail's pace. I shall keep an eye out for the yellow rainlegs!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Use of credit cards is very low in the Netherlands, one of the lowest rates in Europe. It's normal for supermarkets to not take credit cards. You might see the local in front of you use a card the supermarket takes but it probably won't take yours unless it's issued by a Dutch bank.
My weapon of choice is a Caxton FX card, load it online and extract cash from the hole in the wall.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Use of credit cards is very low in the Netherlands, one of the lowest rates in Europe. It's normal for supermarkets to not take credit cards. You might see the local in front of you use a card the supermarket takes but it probably won't take yours unless it's issued by a Dutch bank.
Actually, slightly more people in the Netherlands use credit cards than in the UK (according to the Eurobarometer on Retail Financial Services - highest use in the EU is Luxembourg, lowest is Hungary) and I didn't have any problem paying with a UK-issued Mastercard in Jumbo, Spar, Aldi or Lidl there earlier this year, but it's probably still a good idea to check for a card symbol on the entrance (or look across at the checkout for a card reader) and ideally have another way to pay if you must.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Is this for pizza?
€25 of it is. And they were large. Very large. The rest is wine, croquettes, industrial quantities of salad and a litre of San Pellegrino.

Top Bottom