FNRttC The Fridays Tour 2016

For which Fridays Tour in 2016 would you sign up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not that it's any of my business, as I won't be involved (unless there's a night ride to Newhaven or somewhere like that at the start), but having done LonJOG, have you considered LELon or LonLE? Does it have to be abroad?
I believe that @dellzeqq considered (briefly) that option, and rejected it rapidly. There are (roughly) two possible routes to LE (I gather). One involves the A30, and fails the risk assessment test for a group. The other involves so many hills and twists and turns that it's a shock to either tired legs or to un-tried legs.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I believe that @dellzeqq considered (briefly) that option, and rejected it rapidly. There are (roughly) two possible routes to LE (I gather). One involves the A30, and fails the risk assessment test for a group. The other involves so many hills and twists and turns that it's a shock to either tired legs or to un-tried legs.
I've ridden (most of) LeJOG & though I don't have the route we took due to issues with my first Garmin, the first day wasn't one for a big group or those who aren't used to busy roads, much climbing and both at the same time. It wouldn't be easier in reverse.

Unfortunately the UK is no longer exciting or adventurous enough it seems:sad:.
There may be some truth in that, for some. For me, there aren't many routes in the UK that I'd want to do with a group due to hostile road conditions. I'd happily go back to Scotland but preferably on my own / with Adam. A few other options that do hold some attraction are just too short for a Fridays tour e.g. the Coast to Coast.

srw

But there are parts of the UK which would be great for a group tour. Lincolnshire was proposed for a "centre" holiday; the Scottish borders is very quiet and peaceful; the Scottish islands are delightful.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hmm. Having done a bit of touring in Devon I can well imagine that may be the case. Oh well, just a thought.

U

User482

But there are parts of the UK which would be great for a group tour. Lincolnshire was proposed for a "centre" holiday; the Scottish borders is very quiet and peaceful; the Scottish islands are delightful.

I sketched out a route from Lancaster to Carlisle, all around the coast, and I think it would be a cracker, not too hilly, either. You could extend it to Newcastle using quiet roads for a longer tour, but of course that would involve some climbing.

Not many quiet routes? Seriously? I think with the amount of planning that goes into these tours it wouldn't be impossible to find some.
No, of course you're right, there are loads of lovely roads. But enough to put together a route covering a week's worth of cycling with less than, say, 30% of it really hostile? I didn't do all of LonJog, just the first day, but there were long stretches where I really would rather have been anywhere else but there.

And yes, the quieter more scenic areas do also tend to be hillier, see earlier references to Scotland!

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
have you considered LELon or LonLE?
No.
Does it have to be abroad?
Yes.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
So - a summary of the scores on the board as we move into the "Tour Off" as they say on the "Great British Strictly Dancing" programme......
  • Bordeaux seems to be out of favour because of the four (or five) days of travelling - not on a bike - needed to get to the start and back from the finish.
  • Berlin is out of favour because of the difficulty of getting there in the first place - long hard days of riding plus the difficulty of getting home with the bikes.
  • Netherlands is a bit "the same as" this year.
  • Roscoff to Caen is not out of favour. Brittany would be different from the mono-agriculture of northern France.
  • A late entrant is the idea of going to Europe (Hook/Dunkirk/Calais) and doing a circular route through new territory and back to the coast for a ferry home (Hook/Calais/Dunkirk).

Thoughts?​

srw

OK. I don't know the area well, but we did a lovely few days starting and ending in Glasgow (Houston, actually) and going via Arran, Kintyre, Bute and Greenock. Other riders we met on the same trip did the same sort of thing but extending via Islay and Jura.

The upside - near Glasgow there are great bike paths; there is little traffic outside of ferry times; the scenery is lovely; it's pretty easy to get to.

The downside - the scenery is lovely and you have to go over it (long hills, but not usually too steep); midges; weather; you're on the only roads so there is some traffic.

U

User482

OK. I don't know the area well, but we did a lovely few days starting and ending in Glasgow (Houston, actually) and going via Arran, Kintyre, Bute and Greenock. Other riders we met on the same trip did the same sort of thing but extending via Islay and Jura.

The upside - near Glasgow there are great bike paths; there is little traffic outside of ferry times; the scenery is lovely; it's pretty easy to get to.

The downside - the scenery is lovely and you have to go over it (long hills, but not usually too steep); midges; weather; you're on the only roads so there is some traffic.

There's also some terrific riding going inland from the Wemyss/ Largs area, which could be linked in with ferries to Bute and Cumbrae: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/553943604

Lumpy though!

Lancaster to Berwick upon Tweed via Kielder is just under 500km and also goes abroad... just. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/10778063

frank9755

Cyclist
VV - get away from SE England and the UK is a lot less busy! I've done two tours this year in the UK, both with very light traffic (and with land transport only + beautfiul scenery): Cardiff to Holyhead and a lap of Ulster.

Scotland is great but for London-centric (or Tunbridge Wells-centric people) it is an awful long way away! For the west of Scotland it probably should be May, rather than September - although anyone seeing McShroom's pictures on Facebook will see he has really lucked out on the weather in the far north this month.

Top Bottom