The Fridays Xmas Tourette - 29th December. London's Finest.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Note the date. I owe some of you an apology, but there's reason in my madness, and this reason is a good 'un.

This year's get-together will be kind of like the last two years. We'll leave Hyde Park Corner at 11 in the morning. We'll wander around, covering about twelve miles, and fetch up at Shad Thames at about 3 in the afternoon. Last year we had two themes, but this year I'm going to keep it simple - we're going to see the best 10 buildings in Central London*. And when I say the best ten, I mean it - anybody who argues about inclusions and exclusions can kiss my candied architectural arse.

I'm not giving you the list now, but Christ Church Spitalfield is top of the list, and that's the reason behind the date change. We can't get inside on the 28th, but we can on the 29th. I've got some arranging to do on other fronts, but there is one private house on the list, and the occupiers know we're coming, which is good. There are some old favourites, including two side by side in the City.

So............do please let me know in the usual way. I'm afraid that this year I'm going to to insist on the usual conditions - CTC members (affiliated or full) get on the ride, and there's five spaces for LCC/BC riders. If you're a newcomer I need your mobile number, and confirmation that you've read the 'basics' - there's a link below.

* 'Central' means no Segal houses and no Neasden temple.

Last edited:
Gosh Darnit - not available in the morning as I'm already committed to leading a Sustrans ride on that date.

Tim Hall

"Tourette" is about right - there are no f****** trains over Christmas and the New Year due to major engineering works. :sad:
TMN, put "via Horsham" into the National Rail thingy. That routes you, surprisingly, via Horsham, by changing at Three Bridges. 0824 from down your way gets in at 1034. Pricey thobut, as it uses some complex ticket with no returns.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Delzeqq, Could you add me to the list of 'students' please. I will also be a good boy for Teacher and send him an email!!! Really ought to say Doctor or Professor.....

Last edited:

ianmac62

Guru
Yes, please! E-mail to follow.

London Midland are making it an interesting journey from Northampton on that date. The first service without bus replacements goes as far as Watford Junction and stops at some very piddly places on the way. Then it's London Overground and that stops at every station from Watford Junction to Euston. Total journey time = 2h 07m.

Fortunately, whatever it is that's they are planning for the morning is over by the afternoon when Euston to Northampton will take a mere 1h 10m at most! (And no advance tickets.)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
No Neasden temple? I suspect I'll get chucked off the front of the tandem for suggesting another trip to central London along the A404, unfortunately.

U

User10571

I'm unlikely to make the ride - work dictates otherwise...

Kies

Visa has been applied for to home affairs ministry of ministers and all things house related :fingerscrossed

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Gutted to miss this again but train from Dorset doesn't reach Paddington until 3 p.m. & by the time I've got home with the cases & back out, even though you will be on the right side of town....

Top Bottom