The Geology Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I am a very amatuer collector of stones and rocks, but of late, I have been thinking about buying a polisher so that my finds look a lot better.

Has anyone got any experience of such things and what equipment would they recomend?

Thanks

midlife

Guru
Do you mean one of those motorised barrel shaped things that tumble small rocks for weeks on end in carborundum paste?

But aren't you interested in minerals in they're natural state? Geology is about natural state jewellery is about polishing.

Unless you're preparing a sample for analysis then I guess you're talking of mounting your sample in a substrate then perhaps cutting to start the flat face then polishing on a rotating bed with increasingly finer grades and a suitable coolant. At uni we did it by hand when first doing it but later there were automated machines with sample holders rotating on a rotating abrasive bed.

There's various tests that need a mounted, flat and polished surface. However not commonly used by amateur hobbyists.

Not trying to be argumentative, but why do you need to polish. Why can't you appreciate the natural state you found them in? They're interesting enough imho.

You're possibly right, I mean how long do they keep them in Blackpool sweetshops before you buy them?

Arguably not true I think. Even after chemical weathering there can be argued it's not the old rock before the weathering, so that could be said to be new. Volcanic rock is changed by its production. All natural processes unlike polishing. Imho natural state rocks and minerals have their own interest and beauty even.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
But aren't you interested in minerals in they're natural state? Geology is about natural state jewellery is about polishing.

Unless you're preparing a sample for analysis then I guess you're talking of mounting your sample in a substrate then perhaps cutting to start the flat face then polishing on a rotating bed with increasingly finer grades and a suitable coolant. At uni we did it by hand when first doing it but later there were automated machines with sample holders rotating on a rotating abrasive bed.

There's various tests that need a mounted, flat and polished surface. However not commonly used by amateur hobbyists.

Not trying to be argumentative, but why do you need to polish. Why can't you appreciate the natural state you found them in? They're interesting enough imho.
I have quite a few specimens of the same things, so I am merely curious as I have some examples that would be rather lovely, whilst I have others that are probably best kept as is.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I've had good results with a Dremel to sand up rock specimens. I stamped out a load of wet and dry discs from 60 to 3000 grit, and got to it. I used the Starcke paper - any stuff with a blue back is good.
Plastic tumblers are noisy. The rubber drum ones are better. Getting a decent one in the UK isnt easy - the US is home to a lot of this gear.

Top Bottom