The graun ranks Iron Maiden's 30 greatest songs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Choice quote from the blurb on Hallowed be Thy Name

"If an alien, recently arrived on Earth, wanted to know what heavy metal was, you could spend hours explaining its manifold complexities, or you could just play them Hallowed Be Thy Name – they would get the idea."

Hard to disagree with.

The list is here
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/mar/25/iron-maiden-30-greatest-songs-ranked

And here they are playing Hallowed be Thy Name live in 82

View: https://youtu.be/7vP2hFFV57E

I miss Where Eagles Dare and To Tame a Land from the list, but I think it is generally fair.

What say the CC Maiden fans?

T4tomo

Guru
Not really listened to much after seventh son album, but some crackers on the list. Can i play with madness, of that album is missng from the list

Number of The beast, Run to the Hills and The Trooper were probably the ones I played most. Saw them at Donnington way back when.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Can i play with madness, of that album is missng from the list
Probably seen as a bit too commercial. But I agree it’s missing from the list.
No “Bring your Daughter” either, another commercial hit.

My two favourites are both mid ranking. Ancient Mariner and flight of Icarus.
I enjoy their songs which mirror classic literature.

Reactions: C R

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No Killers which is very poor. I am a Paul Dianno Maiden era fan boy. No Dickenson album comes close to the first two albums. Not saying I don't like Bruce era as I do. Favourite being Powerslave.
The new album is top notch stuff too.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My favourite doesn't even make the 30! Infinite Dreams:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQZz39hJbkw

I saw them in either 89 or 90 (can't recall now) at Manchester Apollo, the later 80s was my Maiden era really, 7th Son, Somewhere in Time... the earlier stuff I had to visit in retrospect since I only got into them in my teens thanks to friends at school. Anything later than about early 90s I've not really kept up with although it's always really great to hear their stuff on the radio to remind me of that period of my life!

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
My favourite doesn't even make the 30! Infinite Dreams:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQZz39hJbkw

I saw them in either 89 or 90 (can't recall now) at Manchester Apollo, the later 80s was my Maiden era really, 7th Son, Somewhere in Time... the earlier stuff I had to visit in retrospect since I only got into them in my teens thanks to friends at school. Anything later than about early 90s I've not really kept up with although it's always really great to hear their stuff on the radio to remind me of that period of my life!

True, Infinite Dreams and Dream of Mirrors should have made the list.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Stunning stage sets live and one of those rare bands that never did a duff album in my humble opinion.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
No Killers which is very poor. I am a Paul Dianno Maiden era fan boy. No Dickenson album comes close to the first two albums. Not saying I don't like Bruce era as I do. Favourite being Powerslave.
The new album is top notch stuff too.
it's almost as if the Dianno tracks were thrown in as token gestures, and whilst NotB is a favorite, Killers and Iron Maiden are a close second and third. I stopped listening after PoM because every song just galloped, and Duran Duran sounded better in '84 (OMHO, of course... :laugh:)

netman

Veteran
Personally I'd much prefer to have Charlotte the Harlot instead of 22 Acacia Avenue... they also wrongly state the 'Charlotte saga' is two part when it's actually four... and Running Free only at 22?!

Seevio

Guru
It would be interesting to hear what metrics the gaurdain use to say Bruce Dickinson is the "greatest" singer Maiden had. I personally prefer Di'anno although I understand why he had to go. I liked Maiden when I first got into them but looking back, they became the Coldplay of metal.

For Reasons I don't think I've heard anything after Seventh Son so its not fair I do a top 30. I reckon a top 15 might be in order though. I quickly realised after narrowing it down to 15 that I can't be arsed sorting them (except Aces High is the best one) so in no particular order, the best 15 Maiden songs that I know.
Remember Tomorrow
Running Free
Phantom of the Opera
Killers
Purgatory
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Wasted Years