The Great Escape, Pearson Lightweight saved from the Skip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windassisted

IMG_0062 (Small).JPG
I have my hands on it at last, the chap who dropped it off said his wife wanted him to skip it but he decided to stick it on eBay instead. It is a lightweight road model in what seems to be totally original condition, must be 198? but shed stored for twenty or more years, fortunately a dry shed . Frame is butted & brazed with Reynolds 531 tubing and fancy lugs. Gear is mainly Shimano, the front, rear mechs and shifters are Arabesque Gold Arrow, brakes are Weinmann and seat, headpost and bars Cinelli. The wheels are 27" Mavic GP 4 black anodised with very narrow tubs, hubs are Suntour.
The frame must be resprayed, existing colour is sludge green and sometime in the past some fluid has dripped onto the frame and removed a section of paintwork , frame tubing is undamaged though, had been covered in electrical tape. Front and rear mechs are fantastic and will polish up very well , tried a little metal polish on one or two bits and they shone like mirrors . The Weinmann brakes not too sure about, look a bit insubstantial but will see how they polish up. The saddle is not bad and may keep that for originality and to show it has seen some miles.
The wheels have to go, to me they do not look right for what I want to achieve , assume that some stylish 700c ally rims can be sewn onto the existing hubs. The brake callipers look as if they adjustment to take them .
Have to say the bike looks better having wiped the accumulated crut off it and put some air in the tyres. A few bits of aftermarket rubbish have already been unbolted and binned.
Will post a few more detail pic's if this lot uploads OK.

Will not be riding it till sorted, tubs have come unstuck from rims and just noted that quick release pointing into the spokes

Last edited:

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Very nice

OP
OP
Windassisted

Windassisted

very nice please dont bin those wheels
Interesting you should say that ! My initial intention was to totally upgrade the bike but now I find all the early Shimano stuff is such good quality not worn and is polishing up so nicely I am beginning to wonder if I should be thinking more about keeping it's originality. ?

IMG_0071.JPG

OP
OP
Windassisted

Windassisted

I was amazed , all the gear changes worked, the front mech too, when I released the seat clamp it was all free, had been greased . The pedal spindle threads had been greased and came off easily the headstock bearing feels fine wheels spin easily. Only thing I could find was the bottom bearing stiff , suppose grease has gone hard.. Shows that 35 tears ago Pearson's put it together well because the previous owner did not do anything. Must pop over to Sutton and give them a kiss !

OP
OP
Windassisted

Windassisted

This looks better, only have pedals and saddle to swap over. Oh yes, straight bars as I have a frozen neck. Still have the Cinelli drops to pass to next owner. Oh yes and a bit of discreet lug lining.

Last edited:
Top Bottom