The Great Glen - Inverness to Ft Augustus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi
Looking to cycle the Great Glen later this year. Swithering about whether or not to go north or south shore of Loch Ness.
I have done the south side a few times (Etape Loch Ness, Loch Ness Marathon) and did section of the Great Glen Way when First Monster was a thing some years ago.
From memory, the section between Drumnadrochit and Alltsigh would have been do-able on a loaded bike, but do I have false memory, and does anyone know what the rest is like?
I'll be heading west if that makes any difference
Cheers
Stig

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Sounds excellent. Bike, tent, coffee and food with countryside of Scotland. What more could ask.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Are you planning to ride on road or off? The Badger divide route takes a mostly off-road route along the North side of the Loch, so it's definitely doable. There's lots of online info as well as videos of folk doing the divide route, so shouldn't be too hard to find some more specific information.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23232135

I've no personal experience of riding the Glen Glen though, maybe one day, best of luck though it looks lovely.

Sallar55

Veteran
After Invermorrison it goes up through the forest, that section might be tough loaded up. A nice alternative cafe up in the forest will ease the pain. The Fort to Fort Augustus is canal the forestry tracks to Invermorrison. Done the West highland way ,the Great Glen Way to Inverness then back down the Badger Divide to Glasgow over a week. You could go up the tracks on the eastern side of Loch Ness its easier or stay on the west side with more climbing.

Baldy

Über Member
If you're heading east to west, the decent into Invermoriston is quite steep, mind the hairpins. I didn't and came off.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You say you are heading west. Is that after Inverness? If going west why not turn up over to Beauly from Drumnodrochit.
OP: "Looking to cycle the Great Glen" they are heading SW and trying to decide "whether . . . to go north or south shore of Loch Ness".
I agree that the climb out of Drumnadrochit is the best way to get north. One can't describe in cardinal terms, as you seem to be trying to, to suggest that the route Drumnadrochit > Beauly is "going west".
Heading SW, I would go south of Loch Ness, but rider's appetites/thresholds with regard to surfaces (eg forest road Drumnadrochit > Alltsigh) is so variable.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
OP: "Looking to cycle the Great Glen" they are heading SW and trying to decide "whether . . . to go north or south shore of Loch Ness".
I agree that the climb out of Drumnadrochit is the best way to get north. One can't describe in cardinal terms, as you seem to be trying to, to suggest that the route Drumnadrochit > Beauly is "going west".
Heading SW, I would go south of Loch Ness, but rider's appetites/thresholds with regard to surfaces (eg forest road Drumnadrochit > Alltsigh) is so variable.

Probably misunderstanding on my part but I assumed they were going north and then west hence my suggestion re Drumnadrochit to Beauly. My brake blocks started to smoke once coming down that hill heading south. :ohmy:

Ajax Bay

Guru
My brake blocks started to smoke once coming down that hill heading south. :ohmy:
Climbed it on Day 8 of an end-to-end. Was 'ard, but way better than carrying on up the A82. Further south I used the canal towpath whenever I could eg Bainavie to Gairlochy (and up to Commando Memorial, though with wider tyres could carry on, Clunes to S Laggan on forest road) and then again from Bridge of Oich to Ft A. I was advised (at S Laggan YH) that the stretch on the SE side of Loch Oich was hard going. Someone else will know with more assurance.

Ajax Bay

Guru
This (early) morning: "Drumnadrochit hit -10.4C (13F) in the early hours of Thursday, making it the coldest recorded temperature of the year so far."

Top Bottom