The Great Shakespeare Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

May do.

I've an Audax the day before.

jimboalee

Had a look through the literature.

Once again, a Sportive and 'Challenge ride' which includes some of the most demanding hills in the region. ( ~Except Saintbury, Fish Hill and Sun Rising Lane ).

I've also had a look at the routes. Yes, they follow country lanes, so If your wheels are lighter than Dura-ace and have less than 24 spokes, I'd suggest you take the main roads between the feeding stations, or give it a miss altogether.

The short 'leisure ride' has a half way stop at Walton Hall, former private home of Danny la Rue ( Dan Carroll, Irish Female impersonator ).

jimboalee

Route so far:
Stratford
Stow on the Wold 35
Bishops Cleeve 25
Evesham 20
Stratford 25
105km - verified by AUK's DIY and Perms Team

There's a nicer route. Less twatting around down gravel and dirt covered lanes.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Tempted, but:
A) Its on Sunday morning, which is God time. Why can't they have these on Saturdays? Other than the fact that everyone else is busy. And the roads are busy. And no one is free to marshal the event. OK, I guess Sunday mornings are a better idea.
and
C) Its sponsored. And I don't really want to run around finding sponsorship, as I already support one hospice regularly (where my Dad died), and one occasionally (just up the road). Feels wrong to take the place of someone who might have raised money for them.

P.S.
There is no B option, as putting a bracket after it makes it look like this: B)

Nozzer

Norry, you need to cross off the 50 on your sig!!

Im prob up for it, need to sort transport for the day though

The Bard

I might ride the 100 km as a warm up for the Shakespeare 100 Sportive that's on Sunday 12 September at Stratford, my family will probably ride the MacRide that's run at the same time as the Shakes 100 - done them before, two great rides.

The Bard

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Well, thoroughly enjoyed that today - and bearing in mind the weather lately, we were very lucky to have blue skys all the way :smile:

I'm not sure how many riders turned up, but looked pretty impressive to me.

Martin

The Bard

Not a bad ride although some of the hills were unnecessary ... seemed to me that one in particular was just there to be awkward. Parking was a total shambles though - obviously not thought through and the overflow a mile away with a climb back up a very busy road was bad.

I enjoyed the 100k ride .... did quite a good time, at least for me.

Who else is going to be at the Shakespeare 100 on September 12th at Stratford-upon-Avon??

Will, The Bard

FOAD

Not a bad ride although some of the hills were unnecessary ... seemed to me that one in particular was just there to be awkward. Parking was a total shambles though - obviously not thought through and the overflow a mile away with a climb back up a very busy road was bad.

I enjoyed the 100k ride .... did quite a good time, at least for me.

Who else is going to be at the Shakespeare 100 on September 12th at Stratford-upon-Avon??

Will, The Bard

Lol, only just noticed this post...almost makes you sound Like Rob who runs the Maride who hasn't stopped bleating since he found out someone else dared organise a sportive in his home town.

The car parking at the hotel wasn't meant for riders, the massive car park 700 yards away at the NFU was for the riders, and someone from the NFU forgot to open it on time. And if you think the ride from there to the start was scary, you should MTFU cuz I ride that road daily in rush hour and it's nothing.

Some of the hills unncessary? Lol..which one, most people I have spoken to reckon one of them was a bitch, but not all the same, it's horses for courses.

And don't you expect bitch hills in the Cotswolds? Sounds like yesterdays Macride/Shakespeare100 sportive was made for you, allegedly touching the Cotswolds but not a good hill in sight, tons of car parking right next to a public toilet/reception area and no facilities, and some of the most dangerous roads you will ever ride on. Awesome.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Just rode the course again today with a colleague from work who couldn't make the day.

This time I managed the biatch hill that I failed in August. Anyone remember what that one was called?

Martin

Top Bottom