The Hebridean Way Questions for experienced cyclists!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That's nowhere near the top of the hill on the road out of Castlebay.
That's been taken in Castlebay itself.
It is certainly not in Castlebay but on the road in albeit not right at the highest point. I have been there at least half a dozen times and my memory while not perfect is reasonably clear.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
That's nowhere near the top of the hill on the road out of Castlebay.
That's been taken in Castlebay itself.
At that point you've done the first 30 ft from sea level. Exactly 300 to go to the top.
The Google camera on top of the car is a little higher than your eye, but the roof of the lower part of the Castle is about on the distant waterline.

1646314116124.png

The pub opposite was a venue on Skerryvore's World Tour a few year's back. A superb evening, but when it was done, I don't think my inability to walk from their back to the harbour was due to either the steepness, or the length of the hill from there.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
At that point you've done the first 30 ft from sea level. Exactly 300 to go to the top.
The Google camera on top of the car is a little higher than your eye, but the roof of the lower part of the Castle is about on the distant waterline.

View attachment 633626

The pub opposite was a venue on Skerryvore's World Tour a few year's back. A superb evening, but when it was done, I don't think my inability to walk from their back to the harbour was due to either the steepness, or the length of the hill from there.
My bike was I think leaning against the lamppost and the bit of steel fencing is in my picture. Depends on your lens I suppose and the cropping of the original. My photo was taken on my first camping visit but others were a campervan and later motorhome and then on others just passing through for the ferry to Oban.

rualexander

Legendary Member
It is certainly not in Castlebay but on the road in albeit not right at the highest point. I have been there at least half a dozen times and my memory while not perfect is reasonably clear.
It clearly is in Castlebay.
About 250m from the ferry ramp, just across from the pub as mentioned above.
Location indicated by arrow on the map below.
The top of the hill out of Castlebay is another mile along the road from there.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Calmac publish timetables which will tell you how long the ferries take.
While generally it is advised to travel South to North due to prevailing wind that cannot be taken for granted and I remember sailing south meeting cyclists grinding northwards.
Clisham from Harris to Lewis is a beast of a hill but there is nothing else of any significance.
The southern islands are fairly liberal re the sabbath but Lewis is predominantly shut tho' nowadays that is changing.
It is as well to remember that many shops and even B&B places will be closed on Sundays tho' ferries still run nowadays.

I recall having to pedal downhill quite hard at times against the wind and that was going north..

The wind seems to come from all directions at once.

But there were beautiful still sunny days too

How long does the trip take..
Depends on your style..
(And the wind,)

I think I spent seven nights from bottom to top on the last but one visit..

But I get hopelessly distracted by side roads, nice beaches and other interesting diversions.

As well as slowed by headwinds.

I think the last time I went I meant to stay in some of the historic 'black house' hostels , but never quite got the timing right, and ended up camping every night.

Given that you can camp just about anywhere it seems a shame not to give yourself that flexibility, and take a tent..

One night I even ended up camping on a golf course..
Nobody seemed to mind (or notice..)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
To be fair, it would be a shame to go all that way and rush through it in a few days, it's not the West Midlands. Detours to places like Hushinish beach could take up a whole day with the right picnic.

Or two nights stay even..

A holiday , within a holiday..

Irresistable

mike chadwick

Astrobike
I have a ferry booked for the middle of May to do the
Hebridean way, but will probaly have to cancel as I can
Not get a bike booking with Transpeenine express or Scott rail
hope you have a good trip

OldShep

Über Member
Don’t know what date in May you are trying for but I’ve just tried two dates and no problem booking a bike to Oban

HelenD123

Legendary Member
That's peak season so I'm not surprised. There were dozens of cyclists on the Oban ferry when I went in May a few years ago. Luckily I have the option of my Airnimal as I couldn't get a bike reservation from Inverness on the way back. They cheerfully let me fold it and put it in the guards van.

mike chadwick

Astrobike
The problem is T P E and Scot rail whilst still running their trains from Manchester and
Glasgow will not accept bike bookings I have spoken to both company's who confirmed
that they have not and will not be accepting bike bookings.
The lack of bike bookings on the return from Inverness is also the reason I will cancel
my ferry bookings

Top Bottom