The "Hi-Viz" excuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
just jim

just jim

It's used as an excuse, as it has been used in this case for lack of observation.

And it's helped his case.

domtyler

Über Member
just jim said:
It's used as an excuse, as it has been used in this case for lack of observation.

People will always come up with excuses to try to get themselves off the hook, wearing or not wearing day glo won't stop that.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
If I was the driver who did this and truly felt sorry, I wouldn't be saying the cyclist wasn't wearing high viz and was hunkered down. Sounds suspiciously like attempting to shift blame from the driver's lack of care and attention to the cyclist, when it shouldn't have been. Having said that, perhaps the only time for me where that might be mitigating circumstances would be if it was at night, in very dark conditions, very rainy, etc, where use of a light and reflective clothing would very advisable.

If the comments are accurate on the BBC web site and weather conditions were reasonable, I'd fully expect the victim's family members to be rightly furious with these comments.

domtyler

Über Member
Nigeyy said:
If I was the driver who did this and truly felt sorry, I wouldn't be saying the cyclist wasn't wearing high viz and was hunkered down. Sounds suspiciously like attempting to shift blame from the driver's lack of care and attention to the cyclist, when it shouldn't have been. Having said that, perhaps the only time for me where that might be mitigating circumstances would be if it was at night, in very dark conditions, very rainy, etc, where use of a light and reflective clothing would very advisable.

If the comments are accurate on the BBC web site and weather conditions were reasonable, I'd fully expect the victim's family members to be rightly furious with these comments.

You have to think of the comments in the context of having been dreamt up by his lawyer who would automatically think in terms of shifting the blame from his (poor, innocent, law abiding) client to the (selfish, crazy, invisible, hunkered down) victim.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'm always astonished by what people say where I am. This reminds me of what my next door neighbour told me (in all seriousness by the way, she wasn't being sarcastic or witty as she's American :tongue:) after a person reversed their car into me when I was parked:

"Well you do have a small car"

So how bloody big do you have to be to be seen? That comment really, really annoyed me. My car is about the size of a Ford Focus.

It sounds like this driver is taking the same logical approach.

domtyler said:
You have to think of the comments in the context of having been dreamt up by his lawyer who would automatically think in terms of shifting the blame from his (poor, innocent, law abiding) client to the (selfish, crazy, invisible, hunkered down) victim.

hackbike 6

I had an incident like this the other day and it took a second check for me to see the motorcyclist behind me even though he had his rather dim headlight on it took me a second check to actually confirm this motorcyclist was behind me and that isn't the first time it has happened.

He was wearing all black though and I don't think that helped a lot.

Tynan

Veteran
domtyler said:

yes, it's also actually true that both things would have reduced the visibility of the cyclist

I'm not saying that means he shouldn't have seen him

hackbike 6

BentMikey said:
Should have gone to...

Not funny...doesn't mean I can't see just means sometimes motorcyclists and cyclists blend into the surroundings and sometimes cars do as well.(Takes more than one look behind)

Just because you never grasped it or just don't accept it don't make fun of it.

You know about my scary incident on a rounderbout in Gran Canaria a few years ago.

I could actually understand why it happened but it was still scary all the same.

domtyler

Über Member
I know exactly what you mean unfortunately Hackers. It worries me stupid that one day I am going to just pull out in front of a car or even a bus or lorry that I just didn't see. It is, in fact, very easy to do.

hackbike 6

I take it you are taking the piss.

Can't say I have ever done it to a lorry or bus but what im saying is it sometimes takes more than one look depending on the lighting conditions.

domtyler

Über Member
hackbike 6 said:
I take it you are taking the piss.

Can't say I have ever done it to a lorry or bus but what im saying is it sometimes takes more than one look depending on the lighting conditions.

All it takes is a slight lapse of concentration to look but not see what is right in front of you. I can understand completely how it happens and it is a scary feeling.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I second that -no one is perfect, and after all, accidents do happen. I think everyone of us on this board has, at some time or another, done something really silly such as not see a vehicle driving reasonably and under reasonable conditions. Accidents happen.

But when this has happened to me, and when it will (as I'm sure it will) and most certainly if it unfortunately results in the death or injury of someone, I'll be damned if I'll say it was because the car was a mini, or the cyclist was small, or wasn't wearing high viz on a sunny day etc, etc. and try to shift the blame from my actions. The bottom line is you have to look carefully.

domtyler said:
I know exactly what you mean unfortunately Hackers. It worries me stupid that one day I am going to just pull out in front of a car or even a bus or lorry that I just didn't see. It is, in fact, very easy to do.

Top Bottom