The Holographic Universe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Anyone read this book by Michael Talbot, or come across the idea?

This is blowing my mind at present. I can't argue with a lot of the concepts and surrounding ideas, nor the evidence presented. But it's such a fundamental shift in my understanding of how the universe / reality works that I don't think I can fully grasp what it's getting at.

I don't know anyone else who has read it and so I can't sound anyone out properly, without distorting what it proposes in my own clumsy terms.;)

So, have any of you read it?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yeap, many, many years ago.

marinyork

marinyork said:
Yeap, many, many years ago.

Sorry that was a short reply. What was it you particularly liked about it? The Bohmian side of things or the neuroscience side of things? I expect it's pretty likely Gary Askwith has read it and his other works. I've only read that Talbot.

If you like it you may also like:-
The Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose
Rethinking neural networks: quantum fields and biological data, can't remember who that was by.
Shadow's of the mind by Roger Penrose.

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

I liked the way it asks you to think about reality from a viewpoint removed from the commonly accepted one. As a book I thought it was well-written; it explained complex ideas in terms I (as someone who knows little about quantum physics, shamanism etc) could understand.

What I feel I need to do is discuss the key concepts of:

i) inter-connectedness
ii) reality as a set of wavelengths, seen through the lens of the mind

Also, and probably foremost in my skull right now, what applications does this concept have for how we live in, and understand, the universe.

What do you think of it Marinyork? Do you think it's a crock of doo-doo? he made a point of saying that this theory has been dismissed by most in the science community.

marinyork

I read it in sometime like 1993/4 or when I was pretty young anyway. I don't remember huge chunks of it by memory, that is not to say I don't remember any of it.

I thought the opening parts of the book were good ;). The second part of the book on neuroscience I found fascinating and the later parts wandered a bit. Having grown up now I should probably re-read that and more on the subject of neuroscience. I have a friend who used to do research in neuroscience who I think may have liked it but she never did get round to reading it. Since reading the book various ideas along the lines of holographic properties w.r.t. physics and the universe have come into fashion. My memory of it is that it doesn't really conflict with these but that may not be the case at all! It also struck me as quite a lot in common with existentialism. The book doesn't pretend to be anything other than a popular science book though, so I don't things can be too harsh. I've read many, many more boring popular science books! I'll try and write a more sane reply later.

Tetedelacourse said:
ii) reality as a set of wavelengths, seen through the lens of the mind

Given that I am both synesthetic and a maths type wally person I don't think you'll get too much arguing on that one!

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Twenty Inch said:
Can I borrow it when you've finished, please?

Yeah, PM me your address. I've finished it but I'll need it back as I will doubtless have to refer to it to cement my understanding as time goes on. ;)

oh, also on the condition that you give me your opinion once you're done ;)

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Looking forward to your thoughts Marin...

Top Bottom