The horrible effects of road salt.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Spent a pleasant couple of hours today preparing the 2014 Roubaix SL4 for sale. Needed to find out why the rear brake felt so stiff so took it all off and I was a bit shocked at the amount of deterioration I discovered in a brake that has only done two or three seasons. The pivots were stiff, the bright parts rusted on their surfaces and the little roller not rolling well at all. A hot bath and toothbrush scrub, dry off, lubricate, general polish and new pads saw both brakes looking and working like new.

This was a new Ultegra 6800 groupset I fitted a couple of years ago. I always wash the bike down with hot water and car shampoo but I guess water lingers in those nooks and crannies and rust never rests, as they say.

Now the question is the price. It's a 2014 SL4 with FSA carbon chainset and full 11 speed Ultegra. It rides really nicely and has carried me in comfort over several 100 milers. The weight is 8 kilos, pretty respectable. I'm thinking about £750. What say you?

20200331_164616.jpg

Sharky

Guru
What did it cost in 2014 and how much would a new equivalent cost today?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
It was a Roubaix Sport so cost around £1800 if I recall, but since then I've modified it, the biggest mod was the crankset at around £500. I think a Roubaix Sport still costs around £1800 nowadays.

I'll take some better pics to give an honest idea of the condition then stick it on here to start with I think. Can also try an ad in Cycling Weakly.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This looks a very nice bike. On the price I would make three observations. If you're selling to someone with good mechanical knowledge the modifications will be appreciated and considered in relation to price.

If selling to someone, like me, with little mechanical knowledge the buyer will look at value for money. For me £750 for a 6 year old bike seems expensive. I would suggest £500. I'd also be looking closely at paintwork etc. and would be influenced by how well cared for the bike appeared to be.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, good point. The bike will be valued more by somebody who appreciates the good mechanical condition.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
And guess what? I mentioned it to my cycling buddy who knows I'm fussy about maintenance and sometimes even brings his bike to me for small repairs and straight away he offered me the full £750 to buy the bike for his son. That was unexpectedly easy!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And guess what? I mentioned it to my cycling buddy who knows I'm fussy about maintenance and sometimes even brings his bike to me for small repairs and straight away he offered me the full £750 to buy the bike for his son. That was unexpectedly easy!
You should have asked for £850 then! :okay:

Top Bottom