The horror...the horror...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That would have been a heck of a session :wacko:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Why didn't the 'Landlords' just drink it themselves or are they like drug dealers, sell the 'product' but don't use it personally. :cursing:
I imagine the odd pint here and there has been drunk. But In order to reclaim the beer duty they have to demonstrate how much beer has been thrown away.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Meanwhile, the greedy money grabbing breweries are still wanting the rent from the pub tenants. Pubs will be shutting for good at an even faster rate than they were already.
It's not so much the breweries but more the 'Pubcos' who have driven the rents up (companies like Punch Taverns)
These were set up when the government at the time decreed that breweries owned too many Pubs and told them to sell off a proportion of their holdings to increase 'market choice and competition'. These 'holding companies' were a scam and caused at least 4 publicans I was good friends with (and still am friends with) to get out of the trade. these were
  • Mark - The Magazine Hotel
  • Andy - The Princess Charlotte
  • Dave - The Durham Ox
  • Nicki - The Black Boy

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's not so much the breweries but more the 'Pubcos' who have driven the rents up (companies like Punch Taverns)
These were set up when the government at the time decreed that breweries owned too many Pubs and told them to sell off a proportion of their holdings to increase 'market choice and competition'. These 'holding companies' were a scam and caused at least 4 publicans I was good friends with (and still am friends with) to get out of the trade. these were
  • Mark - The Magazine Hotel
  • Andy - The Princess Charlotte
  • Dave - The Durham Ox
  • Nicki - The Black Boy
There were many others but these were like I say good mates so I know exactly why they packed it in, would you fancy paying a couple of thousand quid a week before you even made a wage not to mention rates, gas, electric, wages for staff etc.

EDIT - BTW none of these Pubs exist any longer. :sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
If their licences permit it they could surely flog a lot of that while keeping within the regs? The Guardian is as hysterical as the Mail these days, only differencenthey wear cardigans and live in Knightsbridge.

Top Bottom