The "household hacks" thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Today the OCD-monster demands appeasement in the form of a long-overdue kitchen clean and tidy.

This has brought my mind back to domestic coping strategies I've developed over my time on this earth; and made me wonder with what others might have discovered.

I think my trump card is a spray bottle containing 66/33% Isopropanol / water. This is great for so many things; as a gentle degreaser (I'm just about to saturate the inside of a particularly greasy cupboard), glass cleaner (great for TV and computer screens, glasses, windows and various other things) and sanitiser - both on surfaces and wounds if they're not allowed to dry out too much post-application. IPA's also great in neat form for many cleaning tasks that require the dissolution of polar hydrocarbons (tbh the main reason I still have it in dilute form is because it's better at killing organisms this way and I started mixing it during Covid).

Isopropanol, Isopropyl alcohol or "rubbing alcohol" can be had for not a huge amount of money in bulk (typically 5l), while mixing your own multipurpose solution in this way is likely far cheaper than buying off-the-shelf products and also cuts down levels of plastic waste enormously.

I'll been scrubbing various areas with knackered items of clothing (boxers, socks, cut-up shirts and dressing gown) that have been kept for this purpose once unable to soldier on in their original application, until the point they die completely - rewarded by a warrior's burial on the open fire.

Speaking of which there's nowhere to put the fat liberated when cooking animal products (down the drain causes clogging, in the food bin melts holes in things) so this is stored in preparation for use as an accelerant when lighting the open fire (in preference to bought fire lighters).

Finally the old dear has recently bought a load of white vinegar cheap in bulk; which is great for de-scaling taps and other things afflicted by hard water deposits.

What ways have you found for maintaining / improving your domestic environment without getting screwed by the man or sh*tting on the environment?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Today the OCD-monster demands appeasement in the form of a long-overdue kitchen clean and tidy.

This has brought my mind back to domestic coping strategies I've developed over my time on this earth; and made me wonder with what others might have discovered.

I think my trump card is a spray bottle containing 66/33% Isopropanol / water. This is great for so many things; as a gentle degreaser (I'm just about to saturate the inside of a particularly greasy cupboard), glass cleaner (great for TV and computer screens, glasses, windows and various other things) and sanitiser - both on surfaces and wounds if they're not allowed to dry out too much post-application. IPA's also great in neat form for many cleaning tasks that require the dissolution of polar hydrocarbons (tbh the main reason I still have it in dilute form is because it's better at killing organisms this way and I started mixing it during Covid).

Isopropanol, Isopropyl alcohol or "rubbing alcohol" can be had for not a huge amount of money in bulk (typically 5l), while mixing your own multipurpose solution in this way is likely far cheaper than buying off-the-shelf products and also cuts down levels of plastic waste enormously.

I'll been scrubbing various areas with knackered items of clothing (boxers, socks, cut-up shirts and dressing gown) that have been kept for this purpose once unable to soldier on in their original application, until the point they die completely - rewarded by a warrior's burial on the open fire.

Speaking of which there's nowhere to put the fat liberated when cooking animal products (down the drain causes clogging, in the food bin melts holes in things) so this is stored in preparation for use as an accelerant when lighting the open fire (in preference to bought fire lighters).

Finally the old dear has recently bought a load of white vinegar cheap in bulk; which is great for de-scaling taps and other things afflicted by hard water deposits.

What ways have you found for maintaining / improving your domestic environment without getting screwed by the man or sh*tting on the environment?

Dog ownership - top-notch critters for clearing food waste.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Dog ownership - top-notch critters for clearing food waste.

Thanks; and to counter - I bet you could do with a bottle of isopropanol to help clean the dog-grease from every corner in the house :tongue:

As much as I love dogs, sadly I'm really allergic to them so unless I can ever afford (financially and morally) a designer hypo-allergenic example I think my household will be forever hound-free :sad:

Last edited:
Surgical Spirit (get it from Boots)

I am incredibly clumsy at splling drinks on my remotes, phone, game controller - basically anything electronic will get wet if I am near it. SS is great for cleaning the stickyness off of things and doesn't damage the electronics.

It is not for drinking though!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Surgical Spirit (get it from Boots)

I am incredibly clumsy at splling drinks on my remotes, phone, game controller - basically anything electronic will get wet if I am near it. SS is great for cleaning the stickyness off of things and doesn't damage the electronics.

It is not for drinking though!
Thanks for the tip (AND TOO LATE - SENT HALP!)

Don't like washing and ironing? No problem.

Simply donate it all to the local charity shop and a few days later you can buy it back all clean and pressed for pennies.
Thanks (nb: ffs - this thread is not going as planned!)

If you hate doing the laundry, simply snap the glass door hinge in half so the door comes off in your hand, you will have to replace the hinge with a new one, but you will not be allowed to use the washing machine for around 10 years! DAMHIKT :whistle:
I guess that only works if you co-habit with a domestically-more-competent individual...

Gunk

Guru
Those plastic devices that so all sticky after a number of years come up like new with isopropyl alcohol. I put it neat onto a cotton wool ball and rub it over the device. There come up like new.

We never have that problem, because I’m a bit of a clean freak, I am always washing my hands and I clean stuff like remote controls, iPads etc all the time. Baby wipes are great for regular light cleaning, also work really well at getting dead flys off motorcycle leathers

We never have that problem, because I’m a bit of a clean freak, I am always washing my hands and I clean stuff like remote controls, iPads etc all the time. Baby wipes are great for regular light cleaning, also work really well at getting dead flys off motorcycle leathers

It only seems to be certain plastic types that go that way. Last thing was my radio scanner I use when visiting race circuits to listen in to marshalls discussions etc.

Top Bottom