The importance of maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
Drafting along at 20mph or so on a clear (cold but not icy) road this morning. The chap in front suddenly without any warning dives over the handlebars and faceplants in the road :biggrin:. I just about dodge the mess and go back to assist.

Whilst waiting for the paramedic we inspect the (nice) bike. It seems like the restraining bolt holding the brakes onto the frame had failed in some way, causing the brake mech to detach from the frame and stop and lock on the front wheel.

Whilst doing your regular chain cleaning etc it is very important to check all the nuts and bolts! Things have a way of working themselves loose at inconvenient times.

Take care out there.

Tetedelacourse

biking_fox said:
Drafting along at 20mph or so on a clear (cold but not icy) road this morning. The chap in front suddenly without any warning dives over the handlebars and faceplants in the road :blush:. I just about dodge the mess and go back to assist.

Whilst waiting for the paramedic we inspect the (nice) bike. It seems like the restraining bolt holding the brakes onto the frame had failed in some way, causing the brake mech to detach from the frame and stop and lock on the front wheel.

Whilst doing your regular chain cleaning etc it is very important to check all the nuts and bolts! Things have a way of working themselves loose at inconvenient times.

Take care out there.

:biggrin:

Couldn't agree more. At least if you check your bike regularly, you are removing one potential cause of mayhem!

We overtook a guy at the weekend whose back wheel was about as far out of true as I've ever seen. What it must have been like riding that bike at speed down a hill I shudder to think.

Accident. Happen. Waiting to.

Tynan

Veteran
ouch

without knowing the cause you can't say routine maintainence would have caught that, the bolt/nut/whatever might have simply failed, perhaps following some sort of smash in the past

Top Bottom