The Inland Revenue has gone nuts! Hooray!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Just don't let your other half find out about this windfall or you can kiss that money goodbye!

Cheule

My other half got a cheque for 77 quid from them a couple of months ago, still waiting for mine! Hopefully soon :smile:

Beware!

I was assessed as having overpaid last year by £900, then got a second letter saying I had underpaid by £400 and then a cheque for £3000 in settlement of my £400 debt.

Then they reclaimed the £3000 and sent me one for the original £900 and altered my tax code to collect the £400

PBancroft

Not Inland Revenue as such, but...

The DWP "interviewed" my sister for falsely claiming Disability Living Allowance, despite having a child with Downs Syndrome. Turns out she had marginally overclaimed, but largely because the DWP had obfuscated the procedure for advising them when she moved house (which she did do, but just not the way they wanted). Having agreed a reasonable timescale for paying back the overpayment like any reasonable person would she was then sued for fraud.

Moral of the story? If the Government offer you money for any reason whatsoever, check and double check that they have got their figures right.

Jezston

Über Member
Count yourself lucky. I just got a letter saying I've underpaid them to the tune of £1,226.26.

I'm pretty certain they are wrong (I've been paying extra tax on PAYE to pay off tax owed through self-employment), but if I am wrong, them I'm sure I could just phone them and agree just to pay them a tenner instead. I mean, it worked for Vodafone, right?

ChrisKH

Guru
Not Inland Revenue as such, but...

The DWP "interviewed" my sister for falsely claiming Disability Living Allowance, despite having a child with Downs Syndrome. Turns out she had marginally overclaimed, but largely because the DWP had obfuscated the procedure for advising them when she moved house (which she did do, but just not the way they wanted). Having agreed a reasonable timescale for paying back the overpayment like any reasonable person would she was then sued for fraud.

Moral of the story? If the Government offer you money for any reason whatsoever, check and double check that they have got their figures right.

+1

ChrisKH

Guru
Count yourself lucky. I just got a letter saying I've underpaid them to the tune of £1,226.26.

I'm pretty certain they are wrong (I've been paying extra tax on PAYE to pay off tax owed through self-employment), but if I am wrong, them I'm sure I could just phone them and agree just to pay them a tenner instead. I mean, it worked for Vodafone, right?

No chance. Sorry.

Jezston

Über Member
Well I just got off the phone to them and it turns out the extra money I'd been paying them out of my PAYE wasn't the increase agreed to pay off my previously owed tax, it was because they f***ed up.

So, now I get the fortunately almost the same amount owed as overpaid back in my paypacket at the end of January.

Thing is, they also want the money I owe back ... by the end of January. The fact that they already have my money doesn't make a difference. No, they have to give it back to me, then I have to give it back to them.

*holds head in hands*

Several years ago my father had a visit from Social Services about his girlfriend.

My mother was not amused at all, as they produced evidence of how he was cohabiting with her and their two children, thus invalidating her claims fro benefits........

Shame the photos weren't him, but someone about 20 years younger and a lot more hair

Turns out that the car we had traded in about 6 months previously had not been reregistered and he had come up as the owner when they had used the car details to trace him

2+2 = 10

Top Bottom