The Jam had the right idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
I like this idea in principle. There'd be no motor vehicles, no rain, it should be warmer in winter, no ice or snow. I'd want to use my own bike and have easy ramp access though. They'd need a lot more tunnel to really make this work though.

I've often wished they'd do something like that here even before hearing about this.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Not so sure. Have read of an Austrian town that is moving the roads underground in an experiment to see if a small area could become more pleasant as a result.Part of the pleasure of cycling for me is the sun on my back and it'd be a shame to lose that.

andyfraser

Über Member
Not so sure. Have read of an Austrian town that is moving the roads underground in an experiment to see if a small area could become more pleasant as a result.Part of the pleasure of cycling for me is the sun on my back and it'd be a shame to lose that.
I agree, I love cycling in the countryside. It would be nice to be out of the wind and rain to not have to contend with ice on my commute though.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I saw on the news tonight that Boris went to Boston ( I think) and acted like a cockwomble but while there he was looking at putting the cars underground . That actually looks like a good plan given the hammersmith and westway fly overs suggested .
Underground cycle ways in London though . Hmmmmmm

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Ah, the dreams of children. Surely in the city it could be a start! And the thought of all those shops and things, that's entertainment right there, though it would be a strange town...... Could be the first underground cycleway in the modern world. A sort of cycling shot heard all around the world.

I'll get my hat......

Being down in the tube station at midnight didn't go quite so well though.

Top Bottom