The John O'Groats signpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It appears that the John O'Groats signpost has been de-stickered, repainted or replaced!
A mate was there a few days ago and send me this pic.

When I was there last year, it was...

Has it ruined the character, or not? I'm not sure..

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The stickers are/were just graffiti and vandalism and IMO have no place on prominent public landmarks.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Did he have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to get his photo taken in front of the sign. Now that would be annoying.

rualexander

Legendary Member
The sign used to be owned by a photographer who took it in every evening.
When we got there at the end of our lejog 10 years ago we were unable to get a photo at the sign and had to improvise.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
This article from last month covered a recent new phase of vandalism (people swinging on the signpost fingers, sometimes snapping them off).
https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.u...post-snapped-after-clownish-behaviour-207428/

A fair way down the rather depressing article is the following, so it looks like it was fully renovated at some point during the pandemic:

The signpost was restored and painted earlier this year already at a considerable cost and was looking well, all fresh and clean, but now we will need to have it removed again and welded back together thanks to some thoughtless folk.

I like the new look, and I'm with Skol that putting stickers and graffiti on it is just low level vandalism.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

The Lands End signpost costs £££ for a photograph, but I started my LEJOG in the evening so I got the cheap free version..

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Did he have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to get his photo taken in front of the sign. Now that would be annoying.
No, it was free.
The sign used to be owned by a photographer who took it in every evening.
When we got there at the end of our lejog 10 years ago we were unable to get a photo at the sign and had to improvise.
That's not good! All that way and no souvenir pic.. Did you get a photo of the one on the harbour wall?

Looks as if he missed the fine spell of weather we had up north, if only he'd been there five years ago. :sad:

He had variable weather 😂

rualexander

Legendary Member
That's not good! All that way and no souvenir pic.. Did you get a photo of the one on the harbour wall?

Yeah, we got a photo at the sign on the side of the harbour, the weather was dire at the time (strong wind and heavy rain), so next morning we took a photo at the 'official' signpost which was just the post with no sign on top, then I photoshopped the sign onto it after we got home :laugh:

Top Bottom