The joy of hill climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Hey, I'll tell you who loves hills... Liam, son of our @PaulB. I was just reading the current issue of Cycling Weekly and spotted him as a featured rider in a fitness article - 2019, Your Year In Numbers. Apparently, he cycled 10,682 miles with, wait for it... 1,077,906 ft of ascent! Wow!!! :eek::notworthy:
I didn't know that! I knew how many miles he'd ridden last year but he never mentioned he was in CW!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I didn't know that! I knew how many miles he'd ridden last year but he never mentioned he was in CW!
Ha ha!

If you want a copy and don't pick up your own, I'll keep mine and give it to you next time I see you.

Mike_P

Guru
My short commute is U shaped with on the round trip 69ft/mile of climbing, or the even shorter way with the ebike 87ft/mile.
Even the shallowest hill can be a struggle if its into the wind blasting off the Pennines with nothing of note to provide shelter.
Did find the other year a way of making sure I got to the top of one particularly nasty hill, starts gradually curves and gets steeper and steeeper and that was realising that I was going too slow to safely unclip without the bike toppling over.
Struggle to stand for any distance so it's ultimately a sit and spin approach but at least there are the rests with the downhills; the most tiring bike rides I find are those into the Vale of York where there may be undulations but nothing of note meaning near constant pedalling and how nice it is on the return leg to find a hill to climb as what goes up must come down.

Hills, I think they are amazing for riding down, love them:laugh:

Now the going up bit.....

Any 1hr/50km ride here = 500m of climbing, and most longer rides (my usual Sunday sortie) = 1,500m or so.

I climb this route sometimes but prefer descending it:

The descent is a lot of fun although i have no idea how the good riders here get up or down it so fast !

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 19.50.25.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 19.50.25.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 1

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Hills, I think they are amazing for riding down, love them:laugh:

Now the going up bit.....

Any 1hr/50km ride here = 500m of climbing, and most longer rides (my usual Sunday sortie) = 1,500m or so.

I climb this route sometimes but prefer descending it:

View attachment 501378

The descent is a lot of fun although i have no idea how the good riders here get up or down it so fast !

How I would love to be climbing that road on a warm sunny morning.

Incidentally, once of our offspring has a summer job in lausanne, so I may just get the chance fairly soon ^_^

Any recommendations for good places to look to hire a property for a holiday near lausanne?

How I would love to be climbing that road on a warm sunny morning.

Incidentally, once of our offspring has a summer job in lausanne, so I may just get the chance fairly soon ^_^

Any recommendations for good places to look to hire a property for a holiday near lausanne?

Plenty of nice areas around here to look for a rental, really depends if you like the city, lake or mountains although you can cover all 3 in 1 day if you so wish. Worth a look on Immostreet the site is in English. That climb is about 30km out from Lausanne if you fancy it:okay:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Actually, I don't see you that often... If you PM me your address I'll post it to you once I have finished with it!
I really appreciate this, Colin but I found a copy in WH Smiths in Preston so I'm alright now, thanks. One last thing though, if you look on the third page, the bottom picture with the big number 20 on is Liam in the white top and helmet.

Top Bottom