The joy of not having a 'posh' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You mean cars like the GWizzy, Twizzy, and Citroën C-Zero?

Car manufacturer keep thinking along the same lines, but the vast majority of the car buying public simply aren't interested. You probably have better chance of getting people on an eBike than a 'city' EV.

No I mean small electric cars which are useable by 4 adults. You'll sell more of them. You done need a 2000kg SUV, rather a 1000kg 4 person car. Adding a good 200kg over a normal C1 for the extra battery.

No, but there isn't a good reason to restrict them to 20mph under the national speed limit. That would just be silly. Some EV drivers do drop it down to 60 if they are going a long way and want to conserve mileage.
Actually, if we all cared about the "greenest" solution we'd all do well to do that. You still get there at 50 instead of 90, but everyone's fuel bills will drop massively. A car doing a steady 50mph car is not dangerous at motorway speeds. What causes accidents and tailbacks on motorways is people driving really fast, then slamming their brakes on and switching lanes. Like most of the Teslas and other luxury/performance cars I see.

And how much safer would cycling be if everyone drove at 20 in towns instead of 30?

icowden

Veteran
No I mean small electric cars which are useable by 4 adults. You'll sell more of them. You done need a 2000kg SUV, rather a 1000kg 4 person car. Adding a good 200kg over a normal C1 for the extra battery.
I think you are describing the Nissan Leaf, the eFiat 500 or the eMini ?

icowden

Veteran
The Mini and Leaf are not small. The Fiat is, need more like them but not £25k

Parkers would beg to differ on the Mini. Their top 10 small EVs from worst to best are:

• Renault Twizzy
  • Mini Electric
  • Honda e
  • VW E-Up
  • BMW i3
  • Kia Soul EV
  • Peugeot e-208
  • Vauxhall Corsa-e
  • Renault Zoe
  • Fiat 500 Electric
They also mention the Smart for Two but say you should avoid it.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/electric-cars/best-small-electric-cars/

Autocar include the Mazda MX-30 and the MG5 although they do concede that the MG5 isn't small - it's just that it is as cheap, if not cheaper than some of the other small cars.

Top Bottom