The joy of not having a 'posh' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
My Captur is four years old Will be gone at the end of the month in part exchange for a Dacia Stepway My brother in law has one and that convinced me that will be my next car.Looks good value and should last me out .

Probably lacks street cred

Not big enough to use as hearse unless someone can lift the box onto the roof rack.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
My Captur is four years old Will be gone at the end of the month in part exchange for a Dacia Stepway My brother in law has one and that convinced me that will be my next car.Looks good value and should last me out .

Not big enough to use as hearse unless someone can lift the box onto the roof rack.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

How has the captur been as a friend is interested in getting one?

I have just shelled out £695 for the timing chain on my 2011 Peugeot Bipper diesel to be changed.(101,000 miles...) Hopefully the rest of the car will hold together long enough to justify the expense!
It certainly sounds much less like a bag of spanners now and the engine is much smoother......

pawl

Legendary Member

Very good Serviced annually. Apart from the yearly expenses I have owned the car for four years covering thirty three thousand five hundred miles Quite low as day trips holiday use was curtailed due to Coronavirus Only major outlay was two new tyres one due to a puncture
The car has proved reliable Petrol consumption around avg about 45 mpg

My bike fits in the back with front wheel removed rear seat lowered .

Three and half years of ownership have been excellent

vickster

Legendary Member
Very good Serviced annually. Apart from the yearly expenses I have owned the car for four years covering thirty three thousand five hundred miles Quite low as day trips holiday use was curtailed due to Coronavirus Only major outlay was two new tyres one due to a puncture

Thanks. He’s not a cyclist but wants a decent, reliable car with a little bit of poke and good economy :smile:
He won’t do anything like your mileage,

I hired a Stepway in Italy last month and it was great :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

my car is a 64 plate and is on about 35,000 miles on it from new ;) its a stepway and mrs ck loves it so we have no plans to change it

tyred

Legendary Member
My 1986 Capri is a 1.6 Laser. My Wife drives a 2016 Fiesta. Believe me the Capri feels much faster but aside from seatbelts any safety features are non-existent. It is far more fun to drive though.

This is precisely why I struggle to take any interest in modern cars but do like classics. You feel involved in the driving process and can still enjoy driving them. Modern cars are just so bland. They're just tools to do a job. Good if you actually do drive for a living but someone like me who doesn't drive much, I'd rather enjoy it and have a car with some character.

Big difference in CO2 and mpg though?
Maybe. I'm not convinced that modern cars are much more fuel efficient though. They get driven faster and my newish Corsa (which I replaced with my older current car) certainly used more fuel than my current one. As for CO2, what about the amount used in a car's production? My 2006 Vauxhall has a lower carbon footprint than a new car because it does about 60 miles a month and it's 16 years old. Maybe that's the way to think about carbon footprints, rather than making endless lines of new stuff?

Besides, modern cars are all so proprietary. I mean, if you prang your Tesla you can't get it fixed by a normal garage. You've one supplier for parts - see this:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/oct/25/we-waited-months-for-tesla-to-repair-accident-damage

Frankly I have no sympathy for anyone that buys a Tesla. It's total greenwashing to say there's anything environmentally sound about a vehicle that size with the performance of a sportscar.

Maybe. I'm not convinced that modern cars are much more fuel efficient though. They get driven faster and my newish Corsa (which I replaced with my older current car) certainly used more fuel than my current one. As for CO2, what about the amount used in a car's production? My 2006 Vauxhall has a lower carbon footprint than a new car because it does about 60 miles a month and it's 16 years old. Maybe that's the way to think about carbon footprints, rather than making endless lines of new stuff?

Besides, modern cars are all so proprietary. I mean, if you prang your Tesla you can't get it fixed by a normal garage. You've one supplier for parts - see this:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/oct/25/we-waited-months-for-tesla-to-repair-accident-damage

Frankly I have no sympathy for anyone that buys a Tesla. It's total greenwashing to say there's anything environmentally sound about a vehicle that size with the performance of a sportscar.

One of my neighbours has a Tesla, looks just like a Ford Probe to me ^_^
2nd_Ford_Probe_GT.jpg

I have just shelled out £695 for the timing chain on my 2011 Peugeot Bipper diesel to be changed.(101,000 miles...) Hopefully the rest of the car will hold together long enough to justify the expense!
It certainly sounds much less like a bag of spanners now and the engine is much smoother......

Know the feeling ... the Mini is way smoother with its new timing chain, 115k miles so should have been done years ago. Fingers crossed that's all it needs for a good while :okay:

icowden

Veteran
The performance is pretty incidental. It's what you get when you have a massively efficient motor instead of of something that works pretty much the same way as it did 100 years ago. However you try to argue it, it *is* more environmentally sound than an ICE car. It doesn't emit gasses.

Petrol and diesel will become hugely expensive soon. Once demand drops, there is less incentive to keep making it and it becomes a premium commodity.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

ICE cars are getting just as crazy, changing a battery needs a trip to the dealer to register the change to the ECU etc in my friends BMW.

It's not just cars either , lorries and farm vehicles are getting to be just as bad.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak

My mum has one and loves it. Has enough 'mod cons' to keep her happy and has never let her down.
I've driven it a few times and must admit it's a fun little car. Think it's a 1.5 diesel, certainly not fast but nimble and shes happy with mpg

vickster

Legendary Member
My mum has one and loves it. Has enough 'mod cons' to keep her happy and has never let her down.
I've driven it a few times and must admit it's a fun little car. Think it's a 1.5 diesel, certainly not fast but nimble and shes happy with mpg

Thanks, living in Greater London, he’ll be getting the 1.2 petrol automatic. We’ve found one for him to look at/test drive, although it’s two trains and a tube away as he doesn’t have a car presently. So we shall see, but thanks for the positive feedback :okay:
He’s had Renaults in the past so that doesn’t put him off ^_^

Top Bottom