The joy of not having a 'posh' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
MOT, insurance, VED which often involves some servicing and replacement parts.

Eh, re read what I wrote. “Cost me nothing, not withstanding the legal requirements be to on the road”.

Hicky

Guru
Read what I wrote, it is not cheap even with just the legal requirements

It’s relative, if you’re 21 and have a 1 yo beemer on finance living in a shoot hole of a postcode it isn’t you’re right(that’s not what my original post stated).
If you own the car, aren’t a yoof and use it infrequent as you cycle(as my original post hinted) then yeah it is. Try using a train(expensive) bus(takes forever compared to a car or bike if you’re fit).

SWMBO wants a Mini convertible. I dread the repair costs compared to her current Honda Jazz which has been faultless for 11 years.

The later Mini's are bomb-proof .... the earlier Peugeot engined Coopers are fragile ... but a blast. About £5k for a 2010 would be a good bet.

tyred

Legendary Member
I drive a 2006 Vauxhall Agila. So good for the once a week I use it. You can get loads in, and 10 foot long.

Why can't you get vehicles like that anymore?

I try to figure out how my Skoda Fabia manages to have less usable boot space than my old Peugeot 205 despite being much bigger on the outside and also manages to drink petrol despite having much slower acceleration, has inferior ride quality and more road noise. People tell me it's progress and that VAG cars are great.

I read this on another forum.

A 1986 Capri 1.6 Laser is pretty much identical to the latest generation, bottom of the range (engine wise) Fiesta:

Capri
1010kg
72bhp
86 lb/ft
0-60 in 14.4 secs
99mph

Fiesta Style 1.1 Ti-VCT
1113kg
69bhp
80 lb/ft
0-60 in 14.4 secs
99mph

It's all a con. We should (and could!) be building small cars that use less fuel. But no, we have to make them all fat and fast.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have a 2013 Suzuki Swift which I use about once every 14 days, I'm constantly surprised at how much fuel it doesn't use.

I've got a 2011 Swift and it gets used twice most weeks , I'm putting in 10 litres once or twice a month.

Hicky

Guru

A 1986 Capri 1.6 Laser is pretty much identical to the latest generation, bottom of the range (engine wise) Fiesta:

Capri
1010kg
72bhp
86 lb/ft
0-60 in 14.4 secs
99mph

Fiesta Style 1.1 Ti-VCT
1113kg
69bhp
80 lb/ft
0-60 in 14.4 secs
99mph

It's all a con. We should (and could!) be building small cars that use less fuel. But no, we have to make them all fat and fast.

I’d guess the added weight is in safety.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

Capri
1010kg
72bhp
86 lb/ft
0-60 in 14.4 secs
99mph

Fiesta Style 1.1 Ti-VCT
1113kg
69bhp
80 lb/ft
0-60 in 14.4 secs
99mph

My 1986 Capri is a 1.6 Laser. My Wife drives a 2016 Fiesta. Believe me the Capri feels much faster but aside from seatbelts any safety features are non-existent. It is far more fun to drive though.

Capri
1010kg
72bhp
86 lb/ft
0-60 in 14.4 secs
99mph

Fiesta Style 1.1 Ti-VCT
1113kg
69bhp
80 lb/ft
0-60 in 14.4 secs
99mph

Big difference in CO2 and mpg though?

Top Bottom